Putting a RC50 back on the road.

For everything relating to the BMW Mini
jerry_atrick
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Mini Cooper '03 Auto

Putting a RC50 back on the road.

Post by jerry_atrick » 19 Feb 2018, 23:32

Hi all,

Firstly, hi - this is my first post to the forums.

I have a 2003 Mini Cooper RC50 Auto that was put it in storage for what was to be about 4 weeks, but it is 2 years now. I want to put it back onto the road but of course, I didn't stick inhibiter into the engine. My check list for returning the mini t the road is:

- Drain all fluids (without starting the car!). Petrol, oil, brake fluid, auto transmission fluid, P/s fluid, coolant.
- Check hoses, seals, etc; replace (there is nothing leaking under the car, so I assume all is OK).
- Change all filters (air, pollen, oil, fuel, etc).
- Fill with new fluids (correct fluids in correct places).
- Replace sparkplugs (petrol engine)
- Check brakes, replace pads and possibly discs
- clean and lubrucate suspension
- Check airconditioning may need a regas.
- Recharge battery
- Spray lubricant into the cylinders

Is there anything else that should ber replaced - will check the exhaust system and of course, signs of body structure rust, etc. But am wondering if I have missed something that should almost be mandatorily replaced.

It has been kept under an open-doored garage during this time.

Thanks in advance

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Re: Putting a RC50 back on the road.

Post by RayB » 20 Feb 2018, 04:46

2 years is a fair amount of time. I don't use mine much but it is started every month and brought up to temp. It really does depend on how you left it. If you have done no prep work before storing then there's more to check

Anything rubber really so hoses as you say, belts, tyres, bushes, brake lines, wiper blades and door/boot seals. Check the air intake fully, all sorts like to make a home in there including mice. Make sure you remove the fuel line at the engine and pump out any fuel in the line. Before starting any work crank it over by hand to make sure it's free and nothing seized. No point in doing any of the work if the engine is not going to start. Personally I would replace the battery and check the electrics, lights etc. Rust on brake lines with your checks on sills and mounting points. Wheel bearings also suffer so it might be worth changing them as well.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 20 Feb 2018, 07:57

Much as above!

I'd not worry too much about draining the fuel, just brim the tank - modern petrol doesn't wax or deteriorate as it used to.

I'd have a critical look at the tyres - particularly if it hasn't moved - for cracks etc as teg masy have been several years old pre-storage (they are date stamped).

Unless there is a starting problem, I'd not worry about the spark plugs - they're designed to last 50k miles and are expensive!

Even if the battery will take enough charge to starrt the car, replace it anyway as yoyu'll end up stranded sooner or later!

jerry_atrick
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Mini Cooper '03 Auto

Post by jerry_atrick » 20 Feb 2018, 09:12

Haven't worked out how to like posts yet, so I'lljust respond by saying thanks and a big :thumbup:

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 20 Feb 2018, 10:49

We updated the forum at the end of last year and haven't got around to re-installing that feature yet!!

Return to “BMW Mini Forum”