Manufacturers MPG......lies

Manufacturers MPG......lies

Postby M60NJP » 23 Mar 2017, 08:06

Ithink weall know this, but Autocar tested a range of 'economical' diesels and compared their actual MPG with the manufacturers' claims.

Full article here:

http://www.whatcar.com/news/real-mpg-be ... xury-cars/

If you haven't the time to look, the latest 520D featured with the following summary: Official fuel economy: 62.8mpg; True MPG: 42.1mpg; Shortfall: 32.9%.

All the cars tested were in the 30%+ range of exaggerated MPG...............
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Manufacturers MPG......lies

Postby Singvogel » 23 Mar 2017, 21:53

I don't think the official figures are 'lies' at all.

Official fuel figures are obtained from a series of tests known as the New European Driving Cycle - and therein lies the problem.

The NEDC tests are unrealistic and are not what one will achieve in real life - but I don't think we should see them as manufacturers' lies.

They are best seen simply as a comparative guide as to whether a particular vehicle will have better or worse fuel consumption than another.

I do several long trips every year in my 330d and get better figures than the NEDC. By long trips I mean a round trip of just over 5K miles to the Balkans - obviously almost all of it is on motorways at a high cruising speed so the figures would be little help to someone who uses their car to commute say 50 miles a day into a town centre.

It's not a surprise really that the NEDC figures can't be replicated.
Always had a BMW since I collected my first one in Munich - a 528i in June 1982.
Singvogel
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: F30 LCI 330D M-Sport

Return to BMW News Articles