Diesel doom??!!

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Diesel doom??!!

Post by M60NJP » 03 Apr 2017, 09:09

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3238045/d ... y-_-FBPAGE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am chuckling a bit admittedly....................but this is from The Sun so probably total nonsense!

cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Re: Diesel doom??!!

Post by cockneyrebel » 03 Apr 2017, 09:48

For once i"m hoping it"s the Truth..the whole truth & nothing but the truth so help me Government :d

Singvogel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: F30 LCI 330D M-Sport

Post by Singvogel » 03 Apr 2017, 15:42

Don't forget this is the 'newspaper' that gave us "Freddy Starr ate my hamster" sic.

Typical British Tory greedy opportunism if it's true.

Instead of trying to do something to ensure the air is clean they just charge a hefty whack and dirty cars can carry on polluting.

Germany has a better answer - a national windscreen sticker system (with a one off charge of under 10€ for the sticker) to show the vehicle's emissions level - e.g a green one is Euro4 and shortly there will be a blue one for Euro6.

If your car doesn't qualify for a green sticker then you can't enter many city centres - there is no option to pay and enter with a 'dirty' car.
Always had a BMW since I collected my first one in Munich - a 528i in June 1982.

Alan Gunn
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 04 E46 320d
new toy e53 x5 3.0d

Post by Alan Gunn » 04 Apr 2017, 06:22

France are doing the windscreen sticker system as well.
So if you are going to France you can get your sticker before you go (or pay the £117 fine when you get it).
http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/paris- ... s-critair/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Singvogel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: F30 LCI 330D M-Sport

Post by Singvogel » 04 Apr 2017, 22:50

The PM has just shelved the UK diesel tax/charge idea - whilst on tour in oil-producing countries in the Middle East - co-incidence.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-tens/t ... y-10158858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Always had a BMW since I collected my first one in Munich - a 528i in June 1982.

Beancounter
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 435D coupe

Post by Beancounter » 05 Apr 2017, 08:20

They are going to have to be very careful about how they tackle the diesel "problem" without massively increasing overall consumption of fuel and other emissions. The main emission culprits are not the modern Euro 6 cars though, they are the taxis, buses and older lorries and cars.
My 435D will easily do 45mpg or more on an A road run even when I am making good progress and a couple less mpg on a motorway (although I got exactly 50mpg on a motorway run down to Carlisle a month back). Around town it will dip down just below 30mpg but it averages around 37mpg with a fair bit of town/rush hour traffic.
My wife's A5 with the 2 litre TFSi petrol which does similar driving averages 21mpg and even with the lightest of touches, won't do more than 32mpg on the motorway if cruising at 70mph. Around town it can easily drop to 16/17 mpg.

If I was replacing mine with a petrol, I'd be looking at an M4, maybe a 440i (certainly if they bring an XDrive to the UK) or a C43 or C63. All of those would give me similar/slightly better performance than I currently get but with a likely average of low 20's at best.

In terms of the physical consumption of scarce resources, anything which drives modern diesels off the road is going to be detrimental in a big way - we will be a bit cleaner but oil will run out at nearly twice the speed!

Return to “Car news articles (non BMW)”