Can't import music from USB - any suggestions

Please post up here any/all information, questions, comments, product recommendations etc about all aspects of in-car entertainment

Can't import music from USB - any suggestions

Postby arlowood » 16 Oct 2017, 14:51

Hi there

Issue with my new 218i Sport Active Tourer - build date 14th July 2017. Established that I have a touch screen iDrive so I reckon it must be on the iDrive 6.0 incarnation or something close to that.

However have run into a problem with the Media/Radio section of the system. I copied all my music from my PC onto a Toshiba 64GB USB drive and plugged that into the USB socket in the tray under the armrest. The total memory size of the music collection was about 5GB. Navigated to the media setion of the menu and was able to see the Toshiba drive there as an option. When I selected the USB drive I could then play the music without difficulty. It was available categorised by Album, Artist or individual track listing. I selected the track listing and the shuffle option and was presented with a "shuffled" list of all my music which I could scroll through and select tracks to play or just leave it to work through in sequence.

I have the BMW Drivers Guide App appropriate for the VIN number of my car and that clearly states that the iDrive system can copy up to 40000 individual tracks onto the hard drive to provide you with a Music Collection of your own tracks. This can be done by importing the tracks from a USB device as one option.

However on my iDrive menu system there is no "import" option visible anywhere. Looking at YouTube videos it should be visible in the list of options on the left of the tracks which include selections for Search,Album, Artist, Track and Shuffle.

Any suggestions for the absence of this import option. Does my car not have a hard drive or is there something I need to do to unlock the import option.
arlowood
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 218i Active Sport Tourer

Re: Can't import music from USB - any suggestions

Postby M60NJP » 16 Oct 2017, 16:57

I've no clue, but usually if it's greyed out it's because it's no actually installed (or enabled). If you bought it new, it will tell you on the spec sheet, if not you can search for the original build sheet and it'll tell you. As a current model. I'd take it to a main dealer and ask them?
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Return to In-Car Entertainment ICE