E36 coupe genesis set up improvements

Please post up here any/all information, questions, comments, product recommendations etc about all aspects of in-car entertainment
spirit
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 2001 e46 330 ci sport

Re: E36 coupe genesis set up improvements

Post by spirit » 02 Oct 2014, 22:36

Trust me from two installation of e36 and yes I've heard them speakers in bills vert aka gunner 1 but my focal 17cm I fitted blew them away with better mid bass and high end. Not easy to fit I'd admit but 17cm ones up front instead of 13cm ones regardless of make is a big difference. My 330 I'm doing a new simple installation with just 6x9 rears and 17cm pioneers up front and my mates were shocked how clean it's already sounded before its even finished. Std sizes are 13cm.

Choice is yours

Ldridge
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 1998 E36 323i Coupe Msport

Post by Ldridge » 02 Oct 2014, 22:42

I will be interested to hear yours when its done as i have seen and heard Bill's in the flesh which is nice, i might consider upgrading the mids in future but to be honest after spending near on 600quid just on those components plus a hell of alot more for the Amp's and the subs still to get, its already running me in more than i paid for the car by a fair bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spirit
BMW Enthusiast

Post by spirit » 02 Oct 2014, 23:08

Ldridge wrote:I will be interested to hear yours when its done as i have seen and heard Bill's in the flesh which is nice, i might consider upgrading the mids in future but to be honest after spending near on 600quid just on those components plus a hell of alot more for the Amp's and the subs still to get, its already running me in more than i paid for the car by a fair bit.

Tbh buddy it's OK but my loons setup was better and hertz are very nice sound up with rainbow imo. Sub I found a simple jl audio sub was more than enough in my e36 and will probably have one in my 330 in the future

Ldridge
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Ldridge » 02 Oct 2014, 23:14

The subs im looking into are made by a company called Peerless, namely the XXLS 10" model they do (pair) however im part of the way through getting software sorted for enclosure design to compliment the frequency cut off from the mids/tweeter crossover to give a perfectly balanced sound. Im going purely for sound quality here with importance being placed on clarity below 60hz spectrum down to about 35hz. Im not familiar with rainbow but ive honestly never heard anything that came close to the uncoloured sound reproduction from Genesis's series 3 range IMO. Really look forward to seeing and hearing your car in the flesh though :)

spirit
BMW Enthusiast

Post by spirit » 02 Oct 2014, 23:33

Early video and shite quality video phone. Was running pioneers in this video and mb quart rears and 12inch 1400w audiobahn sub. I later had focal fronts. Jl audio 10 and no rears. Amped by Alpine amp.
Sound I went for clarity rather than power as I enjoy hearing everything as all bass isn't my thing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftp_4jztnhU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ldridge
BMW Enthusiast

E36 coupe genesis set up improvements

Post by Ldridge » 08 Oct 2014, 18:19

Contacted the Amp Doctor today to have the S3 four channel serviced, ive come to a point where i may need to get another amp for the sub build instead using the Dual Mono. Ideally a Series 3 Monoblock would be better or prehaps a Profile range sub ultra. Here are the specs for the sub drivers, the system will be running at 4 ohm....

http://www.tymphany.com/files/P835016%2 ... 20copy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lovely video btw Spirit, i liked the music choices for vocal/bass comparison. Will you be upgrading the Head Unit later ? I too have a sony in there for the moment but am looking into older high end units like Mcintosh, Nakamichi (pre 2000) and Denon

spirit
BMW Enthusiast

Post by spirit » 08 Oct 2014, 18:45

I have an upgraded Sony half din stereo in the 330,rear speakers are 6x9s I had kicking about and fronts I'm upgrading to 17cm pioneers. Will do a video when it's finished before I do the boot build and finish it off. Just doing a very very simple system for now with gear I already have. Certainly won't win any spl challenges but a nice crisp sound.

Ldridge
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Ldridge » 08 Oct 2014, 19:07

SPL competitions are pointless imo as all they do is measure the peak output of a system rather than the level of uncoloured sound reproduction at maximum output which to me at least is what a 'competition' should be about but alas, i earn far too little to afford such a build so i certainly sympathise with you in using whats available to you at the time lol.

What do you have planned for the boot build just out of interest ? In still torn between a double ported enclosure or an isobaric design.

spirit
BMW Enthusiast

Post by spirit » 08 Oct 2014, 19:39

Ldridge wrote:SPL competitions are pointless imo as all they do is measure the peak output of a system rather than the level of uncoloured sound reproduction at maximum output which to me at least is what a 'competition' should be about but alas, i earn far too little to afford such a build so i certainly sympathise with you in using whats available to you at the time lol.

What do you have planned for the boot build just out of interest ? In still torn between a double ported enclosure or an isobaric design.

Simple 10/12 inch sub either in the spare wheel or against the side neat and tidy probably ported. Got a audiobahn 12 inch knocking about I may use or buy a jl audio one

Ldridge
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Ldridge » 08 Oct 2014, 19:45

spirit wrote:
Ldridge wrote:SPL competitions are pointless imo as all they do is measure the peak output of a system rather than the level of uncoloured sound reproduction at maximum output which to me at least is what a 'competition' should be about but alas, i earn far too little to afford such a build so i certainly sympathise with you in using whats available to you at the time lol.

Simple 10/12 inch sub either in the spare wheel or against the side neat and tidy probably ported. Got a audiobahn 12 inch knocking about I may use or buy a jl audio one
Nice, how do you port the air through to the front, i assume if the 330 is a saloon or convertible then through the rear centre seat, but with the coupe there are fewer options lol

Return to “In-Car Entertainment ICE”