ICE Install Pics

Please post here any/all pictures of your ICE installs past and present!

Re: ICE Install Pics

Postby RayB » 22 Mar 2014, 16:51

I wouldn't agree with the Pioneer comment as I own a Pioneer P99 which have been part of many Emma winning installations
RayB
Site Owner

Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Postby mr sideways » 22 Mar 2014, 18:46

RayB wrote:I wouldn't agree with the Pioneer comment as I own a Pioneer P99 which have been part of many Emma winning installations

Yeh the pioneer ODR stuff and the top end head units are as good as it gets but there lower end speakers and amps are pretty poor.
But the big boys like to produce stuff for everyone, just like alpine.
but other brands like kenwood and sony which make rubbish now have made very good stuff in the past.
And some brands like phoenix gold and soundstream used to make some of the best sounding equipment in the world but ended up selling the company and now make cheap Chinese tat.
the problem is there is not much call for high end SQ equipment now so they are going where the money is, which is mostly powered sub boxes and speakers with ridiculous max power figures writen on them so the young guys in there corsa's think they have a 1000w sub but in fact its more like 200w.

and another problem is that car oem systems are getting better with the likes of Bose, B&O and Dyn audio designing systems so for many people its not worth upgrading.
1999 328i vert individual - 2002 320D compact
mr sideways
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW 328i and 320D

ICE Install Pics

Postby Ldridge » 24 Mar 2014, 18:33

mr sideways wrote:
RayB wrote:I wouldn't agree with the Pioneer comment as I own a Pioneer P99 which have been part of many Emma winning installations

Yeh the pioneer ODR stuff and the top end head units are as good as it gets but there lower end speakers and amps are pretty poor.
But the big boys like to produce stuff for everyone, just like alpine.
but other brands like kenwood and sony which make rubbish now have made very good stuff in the past.
And some brands like phoenix gold and soundstream used to make some of the best sounding equipment in the world but ended up selling the company and now make cheap Chinese tat.
the problem is there is not much call for high end SQ equipment now so they are going where the money is, which is mostly powered sub boxes and speakers with ridiculous max power figures writen on them so the young guys in there corsa's think they have a 1000w sub but in fact its more like 200w.

and another problem is that car oem systems are getting better with the likes of Bose, B&O and Dyn audio designing systems so for many people its not worth upgrading.

@ray, sideways pretty much nailed it better than anything i could reply with, as a general rule most people genuinely believe putting the majority of their money into the speakers and sub will yeild the best sound, when really its the whole package that count (when your deep into high SQ) however as sideways said the stuff produced which is available to buy new is mostly over marketed flashy rubbish with little in the way of high quality preamps and integral components which actually are probably the most important from the "only as strong as your weakest link" standpoint. The stuff produced around the mid/late 90's (IMO) is of around the point where things began to change with the boom of the digital Era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ldridge
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 1998 E36 323i Coupe Msport

Postby RayB » 24 Mar 2014, 18:50

Simple rule....crap in (head unit) = crap out (speakers)
RayB
Site Owner

Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Previous

Return to In-car Entertainment - Pictures