BMW F30 xDrive 320i M Sport

New for 2014. A sub-forum for owners to summarise their ownership of a particular model. Not a full blown road test but highlights for potential owners to read and consider.
wynne71
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW F30 320i xDrive 2013

BMW F30 xDrive 320i M Sport

Post by wynne71 » 12 Apr 2015, 09:11

A quick review of the car so far, only had it for two weeks, but have done over 1K miles already, so getting a decent feel for it.

Running Costs: So far have had to pay for a new rear tyre, but then managed to get Sytners to pay for the whole thing! It came with a service pack until 2018, so other than brake pads etc, I won't be paying a thing! That is a good feeling to be fair.
Bought the car on a PCP type deal over four years, but won't be keeping it for the full four. After 2 or so years I will be back in to re-negotiate the next car.

Road Fund Licence Cost: £180 per year.

Insurance + explanation: £390 a year, 43 year old, 4 years NCD, Midlands, full comp.

MPG: VERY disappointed in the economy so far. Read the official BMW figures and then completely ignore them! Utter drivel, made up is putting it mildly. After 1K miles I am averaging 32.9mpg, and that includes some long motorway journeys with the car set to Eco mode. This may settle down after another month or so, to give me a true reading. I am also going to do a tank to tank calculation to see how accurate or not the trip computer actually is.
My wife's best friend has one of these, almost identical car, and he also complains about the economy.
Obviously I don't buy a petrol car for economy purposes, if I wanted true economy I would buy a soot chucker, but this engine is giving worse economy than my last BMW, and that had a 3 litre straight six petrol engine with more power!

The good bits: The xDrive is superb. Cannot fault this at all, grips like made in all corners and under all kinds of braking/accelerating/weather conditions. The drive also keeps the handling characteristics of a RWD as well, balancing the grip with the feel of the chassis.
The tech on the car is brilliant. It has the upgraded Professional Media package; HD, wide screen display, internet, etc....etc...... And all of it is actually very useful indeed! The traffic tracking on the nav screen is excellent, I can look ahead on the road I am on and judge whether to take a de-tour, and that is even without the sat nav route on.
The seats are excellent. Did 260 miles yesterday and not a flicker from my back. The SE seats in the E92 would have had me crippled!
Steering wheel is lovely, really nice feel to it, and now I have got used to the switch gear, it is all very intuitive.
Considering the car has 19" run flats on, the comfort is very good. It handles the bumps and ruts very well, nothing like the crashing of the E92 on 18" RFTs. I am sure that the xDrive has a slightly different suspension set up to the non-xDrive, it is 10mm higher than the other M Sport versions, so this could have an impact on the comfort.
With the M Sport kit and wheels on it looks great. For a saloon it is nicely aggressive with some lovely flowing lines and detail touches.
The xenon lights are epic, light the road ahead brilliantly, and the LED DRLs are very cool indeed. B-)
The finish on the 19" wheels is fantastic, they have a darker anthracite inner edge with a diamond cut outside edge. A PITA to clean, but look brilliant when they are!
IMG_0849.jpg
IMG_0849.jpg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 2671 times
The engine is a mixed bag so far. When in Eco or Comfort mode is is smooth and quiet, but lacks any punch at all. Slip it into Sport and the whole set up changes, it feels far more alive and ready to go.
The twin turbo unit delivers its output from very low revs up to around 5K, after this is just revs and makes a noise without actually increasing the pace much more.
I'm having to change my driving style quite a bit, coming from the brilliant (when it worked....) 3 litre straight six petrol I am having to learn to change down far more when I want some "go".
The engine is a touch rattly when cold, but quite quickly smooths out. Unfortunately it doesn't ever sound good, shouty at high revs, and rather "meh" overall. Maybe a sports exhaust might help this a touch, maybe not.

The bad, including what to look out for when buying the particular model?: Economy, as above. The xDrive is heavier and therefore more prone to using fuel, but this is probably a decent pay off.
The trim and fittings are not quite up there with the E92. There isn't that bomb proof feel to the interior as there was in the 325i. Oddly the "metallic" trim doesn't feel metal, but it is.......work that one out :-$
The basic stereo sound is pants. Considering that the Professional Media package is epic, it really should come with at least the mid-range stereo set up. I would really have wanted the HK set up, this would have made the all round package perfect. Hmmmmmmm......could I upgrade this.......should I?!
If buying a BMW "Approved" car, check the quality of the paintwork and all round "valeting" detail. Mine was poor. Took me 4 hours to get it somewhere near acceptable yesterday.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: BMW F30 xDrive 320i M Sport

Post by M60NJP » 12 Apr 2015, 09:22

Great summary - thanks.

Hope this doesn't affect you (or explain the fuel economy!!):

DETROIT (AP) — Nissan and BMW are recalling more than 94,000 vehicles because the fuel pumps can fail and cause stalling.

The recalls cover 76,000 Nissan Rogues from the 2014 model year and another 18,000 BMW 2, 3 and 4 series models from 2014 and some 4 series cars from 2015.

Both automakers say in documents posted Friday by government safety regulators that improper nickel plating inside the pump can cause them to fail. That can cause engines to stall and increase the risk of a crash. Both companies used pumps made by the same supplier, Robert Bosch.

Nissan will notify owners in May and BMW will start in late April. Both will replace

wynne71
BMW Enthusiast

Post by wynne71 » 12 Apr 2015, 10:22

Looks like mine might be ok, suggesting 2014 models:

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC
SUMMARY:
BMW of North America LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2014 228i Coupe, M235i Coupe, 320i, 320xi, 328i, 328xi, 335i, 335xi, ActiveHybrid 3, 328xi Sports Wagon, 428i Coupe, 428xi Coupe, 435i Coupe, 435xi Coupe, 428i Convertible, 428xi Convertible, 435i Convertible, 328xi Gran Turismo, 335xi Gran Turismo, and 2015 428i Gran Coupe, 428xi Gran Coupe, and 435i Gran Coupe vehicles. Improper nickel plating of components within the fuel pump may result in the fuel pump failing.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the fuel pump fails, the vehicle may stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 30, 2015. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Will call with my chassis number later in the month. I'm sure Sytners won't have a clue about it at the moment!

lizzie
BMW Enthusiasts Ladies
Car model: F22 M235i
E63 635d
+ 8

Post by lizzie » 12 Apr 2015, 10:49

Excellent write up Matt.

Sent from Lizzie's iPhone using Tapatalk

theguvnor
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E46 M3 Vert
E34 520i SE Touring
Porsche 944 2.7

Post by theguvnor » 14 Apr 2015, 17:52

I think the problem is that most if not all cars now are tuned to hit c02 targets in the EU test, not the real world. Low c02 doesn't equate to low mpg in all cases. The 'big six ' is less stressed by the sort of real world driving we do. My old E39 525 petrol did an average of 32mpg and she got some fast A road spanking every week. Ruths 08 118 with stop start just about manages 34mpg. Cars are just tuned for low tax. Perhaps a remap might improve things?

wynne71
BMW Enthusiast

Post by wynne71 » 18 Apr 2015, 10:34

Quick update.
The door bins are brilliant, unlike the E92 bins I can actually get things in them!
Sat nav with the traffic monitoring is excellent, I can make sure I don't hit bad traffic by simply scanning the map of the journey ahead of me.
Here is a pic of this mornings local traffic status.

Still getting used to the stop start though. Might end up turning that off for the shorter journeys, not sure how to helps constantly turning on and off.

One slight issue with the tyres, because I had a new rear tyre, the treads are now not matching. One side is approx 5mm the other brand new. So do I change the older one now and keep that as a spare, or wait until the older one is at 3mm (when I change my tyres) and then change the both?!

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 18 Apr 2015, 10:44

wynne71 wrote: One side is approx 5mm the other brand new. So do I change the older one now and keep that as a spare, or wait until the older one is at 3mm (when I change my tyres) and then change the both?!
I doubt you'll notice the difference between 5mm and 8mm (new)? If you don't them sacrifice one when the other reaches whatever limit you can live with - or come to Milton Keynes where n/s last about 1/2 the o/s due to the number of roundabouts!

wynne71
BMW Enthusiast

Post by wynne71 » 23 Apr 2015, 19:12

Found these very cool but completely useless "sports dials" today.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 23 Apr 2015, 20:17

wynne71 wrote:Found these very cool but completely useless "sports dials" today.

It's a bit down on power!!

wynne71
BMW Enthusiast

Post by wynne71 » 23 Apr 2015, 20:19

I was trying to be careful and take the pic, gentle right foot........

Return to “Ownership Insights”