E36 M3 - Ownership insights

New for 2014. A sub-forum for owners to summarise their ownership of a particular model. Not a full blown road test but highlights for potential owners to read and consider.
Tallis
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E36 m3 evo vert

Re: The e36 M3 - an insight

Post by Tallis » 29 Jun 2014, 19:29

Mine doesn't have the oil thing, Smg! but has a cool digi gear shift display :roll:

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 29 Jun 2014, 19:33

Tallis wrote:Mine doesn't have the oil thing, Smg! but has a cool digi gear shift display :roll:
Nobody likes a snob =))

Tallis
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E36 m3 evo vert

Post by Tallis » 30 Jun 2014, 16:26

RayB wrote:
Tallis wrote:Mine doesn't have the oil thing, Smg! but has a cool digi gear shift display :roll:
Nobody likes a snob =))
More like poverty spec!!! =))

Emil
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E36 M3 Evo Saloon in Estoril Blue

Re: E36 M3 - Ownership insights

Post by Emil » 09 Jul 2014, 01:52

If you buy a good one to start with then you shouldn't be worry to much about running costs but if its a tatty one then be prepared for big bills!

Almost all parts cost more then non - M cars and everybody knows what means "M-tax" mainly due to expensive parts!
As an example the oil level sensor cost around £120 iirc and lambda sensors arent cheap either and also worth noting is the fact that its recommended to change oil every 5-6k to keep vanos happy

If you need new vanos then its quite expensive unless you get the parts and do it on your own..

Also think about tyres cause you dont really want to put some crap tyres on a 300+ bhp car so a decent set is around £400-500 mark

When it comes to brakes then the genuine bmw ones are quite expensive around £500+ but you can pick up good quailty aftermarket ones for under £300 for a set of front and rear discs with pads

If you really want to buy and drive an M3 then you should be prepared to spend a bit more on it from time to time and dont wait too long with replacing worn parts as those cars dont like it and then you gonna end up with even bigger bill!

So if you are looking for one in a good condition with good service history to back it up then you should have at least around £5k and bear in mind that they will go up in a value so you shouldnt really lose your money

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 09 Jul 2014, 21:31

Just adding my ownership insight on the E36 M3

Year of car 1997
Bought car 2008
MPG 27 to 30
Boston green black leather evo 3.2 6 speed manual

I bought it for £3000 from a student that couldn't afford to run it anymore he had no car knowledge and if anything went wrong with it he had to take it to a garage to get fixed
So it had just had new front calipers new discs and pads all round new tyres all round
It needed a clutch so that was the last straw for him

I replaced the clutch ( genuine BMW ) all three parts only cost aprox £200 so not that bad and I replaced the clutch pipe at the same time ( common fault they go a bit soft and expand ) causing clutch drag

Bad bits
They can suffer from vanos problems (but I don't know anyone myself that has owned one that has suffered from this)
Like all E36 they can suffer from rusty rear arches and suspension bushes
They can also suffer from bottom end failure (from what I can make out this has nothing to do with mileage and is more likely to either be 'lack of oil changes/not letting the engine warm up before driving hard/or maybe the quality of oil' because most I've seen with a dead engine tend to be sub 100,000 mileage so it's just pot luck

Used it a couple of days a week and took it to nurburgring once
Had it a year and sold it with 150000 miles on the clock and it never missed a beat in the time I had it
So mileage is not necessarily a bad thing a car that's been looked after is more important
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

FastCats
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW E36 318i manual saloon

Post by FastCats » 30 Apr 2015, 08:18

Mrs M60 drives the 1er..............there's your answer :d
:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :lol: :lol: :ymhug: :lol: :))

mad4it
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Bmw E36 318is coupe
Bmw E36 328i convertible

Post by mad4it » 30 Apr 2015, 12:54

karlos328i wrote:
RayB wrote:Paying similar money so within the reach of many

The one thing I do like is the oil temperature gauge. You think your 36 has reached the optimum temperature as you see the water gauge in the middle and you decide to give it all it has to offer. WRONG, the core temperature is still far to low at that point and to be honest if I had a 318,323 or a 328 this would be the first mod I would do. You'll be surprised at how long it actually takes to get your engine warmed up and ready for action

totally agree the m3 cluster was the first mod i did on the 328i plus i like the red needles ;)
is this a plug and play mod ?

mazm3
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 1995 M3 GT

Post by mazm3 » 02 May 2015, 16:39

I bought mine with the intention of having a perfect car. It was a bare shell when i started and it went on its first outing in 4 years last June. I forgot how brutal the power delivery was after 4k. The only problem is its so addictive but you really must keep on eye on that speedo!

I really hate reading reviews on it comparing it to the box it replaced. It really was a cracking all rounder for its time.

As a daily, which im using for at the moment im not convinced. Times have changed alot since the e36 m3 was top dog, and sometimes i just want it to shut up and give me a 6th gear!! Sometimes i think all that performance is wasted on todays roads, perhaps more suited to the track?! Maybe i live near some rather crap and congested roads?

I do OFTEN have thoughts of selling and tbh the subject does my head in, but it is so hard to part with it :oops:

Return to “Ownership Insights”