Run Flat Tyres.

Run Flat Tyres.

Postby Tweed » 14 Jun 2017, 11:00

Hi all, having got my first BMW 6 months ago I'm a newbie to this forum so bear with me if I ask something that has gone before.
I had a '62 plate A6 Audi Avant which I traded in for this '64 plate 330d X Drive Touring for no other reason than we bought a caravan! (I know .. L- .. but I'm an old fart now!)
Needless to say it yanks it along as though it's not there and is remarkably good on fuel. I know your only supposed to do 50 but sod that, I may not be boy racer but I'm not that much of an old git either.
It took a bit of getting used to after the Audi ... the non-latching indicator switch and intermittent wiper control being the most 'annoying' but nothing serious.
The only thing that really gets to me is the noisy bloody run-flat's! Unfortunately there's plenty of meat still on them, but I want to change over to tubeless when the time comes.
So ..... has any body out there made the change and what to. Looking on Black Circles the Avon ZZ5 appeals ... and they're made in the UK!

Tweed
Tweed
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: Late 2014 330d Xdrive Touring.

Re: Run Flat Tyres.

Postby M60NJP » 14 Jun 2017, 11:27

Loads of us have ditched RFTs - you have to acknowledge the absence of a spare and either but a space-saver (big money) or rely on a tin of tyreweld, a compressor and/or recovery!

I'm not an Avon fan as they tended to be noisy when part-wor when I had them on a non-BMW. Falken have always been popular but Kumho, Toyo, Uniroyale etc all seem OK.

Us old gits have to stick together!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby RayB » 14 Jun 2017, 11:37

60mph on Dual carriageways and Motorways when towing :thumbup:
RayB
Site Owner

Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Postby Tweed » 14 Jun 2017, 12:56

I'm with you M60NJP on old gits ...we don't moan any more than anyone else, we've just been round the block more times and have more things to 'comment' on!

Interesting you say the Avons were noisy, my old mate reckons they were quieter than others he's had. He doesn't drive a Beemer so I don't know how much difference that would make. Maybe it's because they're British and the car is protesting! :) ... Mind you, he's an old git as well, so it's more than likely he's a bit Mutt n Jeff!
Tweed
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Tweed » 15 Jun 2017, 13:42

Hi RayB, I inadvertently went past a Traffic Officer on the A1 last year when I had the van on the back doing the other side of 70! He was in the inside lane in a line of traffic coming up to an exit and I didn't see him till I was more or less level with him ... I had a quick look his way but he didn't even seem to notice :-bd. I like a bit more nose-weight than is probably necessary, not much, but just enough to keep it planted.
This 330 M Sport has a factory fitted electric towbar .. (please, no stories of what happens if it fails :(( ) and I think it must ride a bit higher than a normal Sport because with the van on the back, it all sits level. On the A6 it tended to 'dip' in the middle.
What I have found is how addictive the muffled growl becomes when you put yer welly in :ymsmug: .. orgasmic! Well, almost!
Tweed
BMW Enthusiast

Postby M60NJP » 15 Jun 2017, 14:05

Tweed wrote:Hi RayB, I inadvertently went past a Traffic Officer on the A1 last year when I had the van on the back doing the other side of 70! He was in the inside lane in a line of traffic coming up to an exit and I didn't see him till I was more or less level with him ... I had a quick look his way but he didn't even seem to notice :-bd.

You can do as you please with HATOs - they do not have any police powers at all!!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Isetta 300

Postby Singvogel » 15 Jun 2017, 18:13

You don't say which brand of tyre you have - not all run-flats are noisy and rough.

My first experience of Run-Flats was on my e90 320d M-Sport - they were Bridgestone Potenza.

A worse tyre I have never experienced - noisy, bumpy and a high wear rate.

I first changed the front tyres to ContiSportContact 2 and it was night and day - even Mrs S immediately noticed the dramatic difference in noise level. Then I completed the set by replacing the rears with CSC2s as well.

I currently have a F30 339d with ContiSportContact5s - and consider them to be the best tyres I've ever had.

No way would I consider changing to non run-flats - the safety/security factor for Mrs S having a puncture when on her own is enough for me to stay with them. I shudder to think of her having to attempt a wheel change on a wet night.

But I do carry a spacesaver, and a ContiMobility Kit, and a couple of cans of aerosol type tyre sealant.

Run-flat tyre technology has moved on greatly since the first generation of such tyres and I believe that the latest ones have side-walls only 3% stiffer than conventional (old-fashioned) tyres.

I'm a little sad to think that a whole load of folks have been put off run-flats because of their first experiences with the dreaded Bridgestones.

As for the ride height of your F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport - you do indeed have suspension higher than say a 330d saloon - touring models and x-Drive models do not have the lowered M-Sport suspension.

I also have an electric 'disappearing' towbar - so far no problems - and I don't anticipate any - fingers crossed.

Here's a pic of my rig:

L1000950.JPG
L1000950.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 187 times

My only adverse comment on the electric tow-bar would be the closeness of the ball - and therefore the hitch to the rear bumper:

L1000951.JPG
L1000951.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 187 times

Can you explain what you mean by a 'non-latching indicator'?
Always had a BMW since I collected my first one in Munich - a 528i in June 1982.
Singvogel
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: F30 LCI 330D M-Sport

Postby GTB511 » 16 Jun 2017, 12:25

It's very odd, either I'm a numpty or I've never experienced any issues on RFT's. I've owned a number of modern BMW's and have never had a problem. Current stable includes Z4, 220i convertible and 440i M Sport on 20's.........just saying tiz all. :-bd
Current
2016 E89 Z4 2.0 Roadster
2017 F32 440i M Sport

1975 MGB Roadster
1992 Jaguar XJS 4.0ltr
GTB511
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW440i M Sport

Postby M60NJP » 16 Jun 2017, 14:16

GTB511 wrote:It's very odd, either I'm a numpty or I've never experienced any issues on RFT's. I've owned a number of modern BMW's and have never had a problem. Current stable includes Z4, 220i convertible and 440i M Sport on 20's.........just saying tiz all. :-bd

Unless you've run the same car without them you of course wouldn't know the difference!!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Isetta 300

Postby Tweed » 18 Jun 2017, 19:55

Hi Singvogel, the RF's on my car are Bridgestone Potenza and I can't wait till they need replacing! I know nobody is forcing me to keep them till they wear out but I'm not about to chuck them in the bin either. Interesting you speak well of Conti Sports ... my misses has Prem. Contact 2's on her MGTF and they've always seemed OK .. mind you, she doesn't exactly ear'ole it round corners. I have a soft spot for the Avon ZZ5 when the time comes to change, maybe because I have Avon Turbospeed cross-ply's on an MG TC.
I totally agree with you on the closeness of the tow-ball ... although the detachable Westfalia on the Audi was as bad and it left a scuff on the rear valence when the ball extended after it was un-hooked. I now engage the Motor Mover rather than the caravan brake , and move it back a fraction with that.
What I mean by the switch being 'non-latching', is that it returns to the centre. The Audi stayed up, or down, and was easier to cancel. The BMW caught me out a few times at first when I thought I'd cancelled it, but in fact I'd just put the opposite indicator on! Not drastic and now I know, but BMW drivers get enough stick!
Tweed
BMW Enthusiast

Next

Return to Wheels | Brakes | Tyres