Fm Radio Scrolls, but doesn't find a station...

PhilipE
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 320i SE Touring

Fm Radio Scrolls, but doesn't find a station...

Post by PhilipE » 29 Nov 2017, 22:34

Hi

Frankly, I hardly ever use my car radio, but have it on constantly on silent because of the RDS traffic reports. I noticed the other morning that I was getting no traffic alerts, and that the 'Traffic' icon was flashing, presumably searching for a station.

On further investigation, it turned out that the FM pre-set station it was tuned to had ceased to function. On pressing the 'Search' button, it would skip all the major ones (Radio 2, 3, 4, etc) and would land on a commercial one, currently Classic FM(!). The reception for this is first class, which makes me think that it may not be an aerial problem.

I've a 320i E91 56 reg. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Fm Radio Scrolls, but doesn't find a station...

Post by M60NJP » 30 Nov 2017, 07:54

I don't know much about ICE, but I'd still be thinking it's an aerial issue? It may be that ClassicFM is a stronger signal (or broadcast nearer - same thing really) vs BBC stations and the fact the HU is scanning and not finding them suggests it's notr finding certain frequencies?

PhilipE
BMW Enthusiast

Post by PhilipE » 30 Nov 2017, 15:40

Many thanks M60NJP. In fact, it now scans without landing on any station at all, although, I haven't tried medium wave yet.

You could be right about the aerial, and I wonder whether it might in some way be connected to an issue I had with the vehicle a few weeks ago. My key fob stopped working, i.e. locking and unlocking the car, this being due to wire damage in the tailgate, apparently a common problem. My local indie saved me a small fortune by repairing the wire rather than fitting a whole new wiring loom. Now I wonder whether the initial problem has passed further down the line, so to speak.

Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring

Post by Gus247 » 30 Nov 2017, 15:55

as M60 says, almost certainly an aerial issue... I 'think' they may have an amplified aerial so that may be a place to start, check if the fuse to the amplified aerial is in-tact... If the head unit hasn't been changed and nothing else has happened, this is where I'd be looking :)

I think the aerial 'may' be fitted in the side window (if it's the same as my E36 anyway)..... Should be easily visible..
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK

PhilipE
BMW Enthusiast

Post by PhilipE » 30 Nov 2017, 17:46

Thank you very much for that Andy. I had to wait to pick up my son on a high area of the town, and was able to get a rather fluttery Radio 4, so the aerial is likely to be the culprit.

As soon as dawn breaks tomorrow, I'll follow your advice :)

Return to “In Car Entertainment”