Head-Unit Headache / Choices

Head-Unit Headache / Choices

Postby Switchmode » 06 Oct 2017, 12:38

Hey All,

I Hope i'm not repeating any previous threads but i couldn't find anything relevant to my question! That being said, I've recently just bought a 320i M Sport Coupe (2010) & looking to change the ICE.

The car's still getting some mods done at the garage (Tints, Debadge & new alloys) before i pick it but i want some idea of what make/models (HU) are accessible for me to put in? Im 99% sure the current set-up is standard for that Spec. I'm looking for something touch screen that offers Bluetooth wirless music playing, mainly from Iphones..

Never owned BMW before so abit clueless with everything.. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!..
Switchmode
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW 320i M Sport 2010.

Re: Head-Unit Headache / Choices

Postby cockneyrebel » 06 Oct 2017, 15:17

Gus247 is your ICE man, :d what's in fashion Andy.?
cockneyrebel

Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Postby Gus247 » 09 Oct 2017, 13:52

hey - apologies for the delay... there are a million choices so it will depend on your budget initially, what sort of sound quality you want from it etc.

What unit is in there currently as this will determine whether you can go single or double DIN (standard height or double height with bigger screen basically) without having to get additional fitting components... If the current unit is amplified that will alter what leads you'll need to connect it in too... it's a bit of a mine-field! :)
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring

Postby Switchmode » 10 Oct 2017, 11:14

Gus247 wrote:hey - apologies for the delay... there are a million choices so it will depend on your budget initially, what sort of sound quality you want from it etc.

What unit is in there currently as this will determine whether you can go single or double DIN (standard height or double height with bigger screen basically) without having to get additional fitting components... If the current unit is amplified that will alter what leads you'll need to connect it in too... it's a bit of a mine-field! :)

No problem! I'm just glad for the reply.. The car is totally untouched inside, so its gonna be whatever the standard issue is. My price range is around the £350-£400 top line for spends, whether thats Unit alone or fitting parts & unit etc.

Theres no idrive in there so looking for something that could display Satnav & also the wireless bluetooth music playing. I'm such a noob with all this so didnt want to go rushing into buying something that wasnt gonna be compatiable! Some ebay options look good but always a lil dubious until i hear from the Pros..
Switchmode
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Gus247 » 10 Oct 2017, 13:58

no wurriz - I've just had a quick look and there is a fascia adaptor for double-din head units for the E9x series BM's so you should be able to fit one, without too much trouble! you may need to relocate the heater controls but some kits contain all the bits you need to do the job... The benefit of the double-din is you get a much bigger screen... My son has this one: Head_Unit and it's a very capable unit - bluetooth streaming, hands free, GPS, touch screen etc.

If you go for a double-din you'll need an adaptor like this: Fascia_Adaptor. This may not be exactly the right one you need, but something like this...

Car Audio Security are pretty decent and, as long as you speak to the right person, they know their stuff... The nice thing is that they have most things in stock from headunits, to adaptors, cabling etc. so you should be able to get what you need, and for the budget you have... :) (Again, I have no affiliation to them, I've just found them helpful in the past.. )... :thumbup:
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Switchmode » 11 Oct 2017, 12:42

Gus247 wrote:no wurriz - I've just had a quick look and there is a fascia adaptor for double-din head units for the E9x series BM's so you should be able to fit one, without too much trouble! you may need to relocate the heater controls but some kits contain all the bits you need to do the job... The benefit of the double-din is you get a much bigger screen... My son has this one: Head_Unit and it's a very capable unit - bluetooth streaming, hands free, GPS, touch screen etc.

If you go for a double-din you'll need an adaptor like this: Fascia_Adaptor. This may not be exactly the right one you need, but something like this...

Car Audio Security are pretty decent and, as long as you speak to the right person, they know their stuff... The nice thing is that they have most things in stock from headunits, to adaptors, cabling etc. so you should be able to get what you need, and for the budget you have... :) (Again, I have no affiliation to them, I've just found them helpful in the past.. )... :thumbup:

:clap: Cheers mate that's great, i'll take a lil' look around that sight then! The model you suggested seems great, i actually have an older version (App Radio1) In my VXR. So at least i'd be familiar with controls etc. So would i be right in thinking most Double Din Units would be able to go in?, or are adapters linked to certain brands etc for that snug fit or they just based off generic dimensions?..

I did see somewhere else that it could mean having to relocate the heater panel, think that will be a job for a pro :lol: I pick the car up Friday so i'll be able to assess how much i'll look at changing besides HU. I read that the 2010 Series 3 M-Sport Coupes have the flat package when it comes to speakers too (Reviews not that kind) So im guessing that will be on my list too, if you have any gems of information for that area it'd be much appreciated!..
Switchmode
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Gus247 » 11 Oct 2017, 12:58

no problem - I think the App Radio 1 is the DA100 which is a decent unit too.. My son has had the 100, 110 and now the 120 - we do like an upgrade!! :)) I think double-din is a standard size so you should be fine there.

Regarding the control relocation, it's a pretty straight forward job, providing you have the 'digital' controls... If you have the turny-knob style ones, then sadly, not so much and it might not be (easily) possible to fit a D-Din in .....

Send us a shot of the centre console area when you have the car and we can go from there. :thumbup:
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Switchmode » 11 Oct 2017, 16:10

Gus247 wrote:no problem - I think the App Radio 1 is the DA100 which is a decent unit too.. My son has had the 100, 110 and now the 120 - we do like an upgrade!! :)) I think double-din is a standard size so you should be fine there.

Regarding the control relocation, it's a pretty straight forward job, providing you have the 'digital' controls... If you have the turny-knob style ones, then sadly, not so much and it might not be (easily) possible to fit a D-Din in .....

Send us a shot of the centre console area when you have the car and we can go from there. :thumbup:

Yes the old DA100 unit served me well, although i did originally want a unit that was totally wireless to stream music from my phone. With that Unit, i had to keep it plugged in & that was what i was looking to avoid with a new HU this time around. Save faffing with wires & unlocking phone screens for access etc...

Well, i've a feeling i have the dreaded "Turny Knob Style ones" as i have the photos of when i saw the original Advert.. This picture is a generic shot from the net but looks identical to mine.. Hopefully ive managed to attach it properly lol :-B Image
Switchmode
BMW Enthusiast

Return to In Car Entertainment