2015 F10 535d MSport Electric Steering

2015 F10 535d MSport Electric Steering

Postby BMW535dMSporter » 12 Sep 2017, 07:26

Having had a variety BMWs over the years my memory of which without exception is of stable and accurate steering (if a little on the heavy side) I am, to say the least, disappointed with the steering of my new car. In every other respect it is the bees knees. The steering however in comfort mode especially and mainly in the straight ahead position (i.e. how you drive on the motorway) is nothing short of awful; it feels sloppy and requires constant correction more like an American hire car of old. Selecting Sport mode stiffens up the steering feel but increases the revs with a detrimental effect on long distance economy.
I must admit I paid the cash having assumed that the makers of the "Ultimate driving machine" could have only got better at it while I took a break and enjoyed a Jaguar S Type R, sadly I was wrong with regard to BMW's EPS (electric power steering).
The reasons why manufacturers have ditched hydraulic assistance in favour of electric are understandable, it improves economy, is probably cheaper to produce and ironically can be varied to suit a greater range of driving modes. Having NOW done the research it appears different manufactures have developed EPS with varying success with BMW so far firmly in the less category. I don't know why some drivers seem to feel the straight ahead sloppiness more than others, perhaps individual cars do differ or some drivers are simply more sensitive to steering feel. What I do know is that it spoils the car for me and seemingly many others.
BMW seem reluctant to acknowledge the problem and will point you towards costly steering and suspension alignment checks all of which are fine as are the Dunlop tyres.
So far driving in Sport mode is the only option I have found to ease the pain and it seems I can't configure sport mode steering into the other comfort settings. If anyone has discovered other solutions I would be very grateful to hear of them.
NB. Buying a Jaguar XFS would solve the problem but is not financially viable and I am more than happy with every other aspect of the 535d .
BMW535dMSporter
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 2015 BMW 535d M Sport

Re: 2015 F10 535d MSport Electric Steering

Postby M60NJP » 12 Sep 2017, 08:05

I suspect Comfort mode was designed and set-up with the US market in mind so sloppy feel was dialled in.............doesn't matter much there! I've not driven the F11, but the early F30 I drove seemed OK in comfort mode for the most part - but I guess that depends what you're used to.

I would be concerned though if it seems overly 'loose' in terms of free-play - as you say though, different drivers feel/like different set-ups. Might be worth getting a friend to try it and see what s/he reckons?

Sport mode seems to cure the problem, so provided it doesn't make the ride too harsh, yoyu may have found the answer!

Global engineering and standards are to blame!!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby BMW535dMSporter » 12 Sep 2017, 16:35

Thank you, others have driven the car and also experienced the same straight ahead sloppiness. The ride in Sport is fine and compared to the skate board suspension of the M135i we first had when we decided to "scale down" from the S Type R it is positively luxurious, but that's another story!
Do you know if the Sport mode allows the box to eventually change into top gear because as soon as you select Sport the revs rise. Perhaps it does at a much higher speed or I am misunderstanding how it all works.
BMW535dMSporter
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 2015 BMW 535d M Sport

Postby M60NJP » 12 Sep 2017, 16:56

BMW535dMSporter wrote:Do you know if the Sport mode allows the box to eventually change into top gear because as soon as you select Sport the revs rise. Perhaps it does at a much higher speed or I am misunderstanding how it all works.

I'm pretty sure it will......eventually......and not at speeds you'd be doing often/for long in these parts!!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Return to General