Post by lizzie » 05 Nov 2012, 11:37

Good result Jas :-)

Sent from Lizzie's iPhone using Tapatalk

thebigluke
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 645ci ACS6

Re: E64 645 HEATED SEAT MALFUNCTION...

Post by thebigluke » 22 Jan 2013, 18:06

Hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread (1st post - be kind!) BUT...

I had this exact problem around a year and a half ago, smoke drifting across the cabin at 60mph, my back feeling overly hot... Not much fun at all, quite freaked me out it did!

I read a lot of forum posts on seat issues and discovered that the 5 series and the X5 were both recalled for the exact same issue, apparently it is to do with the bolster getting extra stress on it as the driver enters and exits the car, and the wires either break or short out.

The quick fix appeared to be to fit an inline fuse behind the driver's switch...

So I took it to BMW in Park Royal in NW London only to be told that it would be £800ish to take the seat apart and diagnose the problem, and then likely a new seat for £1500!

They had no interest in me telling them about the other models' recalls and the fuse, they only wanted to take the seat apart and charge me for it, didn't see it as a safety issue at all despite it happening as I was driving!

I was fortunate that I noticed before it made a hole as in the OP's photos, and it didn't burn through my (cheaper) clothes...

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone has any advice on an alternate dealer near SW London for me as BMW Park Royal still want a lot of money to just look at it!

Luke

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 22 Jan 2013, 19:24

I had mine from May 2008 until August 2011 and never had the issue. I'm not making excuses for the dealer, but it is possible at the time you took yours in, the fault hadn't been identified or confirmed (i.e yours was one of the first) and that's why they wouldn't do anything for gratis (recalls are billed to BMW UK and the cost therefore doesn't fall to the dealership.....but only if BMW UK say so!)?

Ask today and the answer might be different - if you got a recall for the brake servo issue in 2011, that took 7 years to be identified. Rather than antagonise the dealer, write to customer services at BMW UK and see what they say?

ASJ
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: none

Post by ASJ » 23 Jan 2013, 12:03

thebigluke wrote:Hi guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread (1st post - be kind!) BUT...

I had this exact problem around a year and a half ago, smoke drifting across the cabin at 60mph, my back feeling overly hot... Not much fun at all, quite freaked me out it did!

I read a lot of forum posts on seat issues and discovered that the 5 series and the X5 were both recalled for the exact same issue, apparently it is to do with the bolster getting extra stress on it as the driver enters and exits the car, and the wires either break or short out.

The quick fix appeared to be to fit an inline fuse behind the driver's switch...

So I took it to BMW in Park Royal in NW London only to be told that it would be £800ish to take the seat apart and diagnose the problem, and then likely a new seat for £1500!

They had no interest in me telling them about the other models' recalls and the fuse, they only wanted to take the seat apart and charge me for it, didn't see it as a safety issue at all despite it happening as I was driving!

I was fortunate that I noticed before it made a hole as in the OP's photos, and it didn't burn through my (cheaper) clothes...

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, or if anyone has any advice on an alternate dealer near SW London for me as BMW Park Royal still want a lot of money to just look at it!

Luke

hello and welcome luke post up in the intros section and get some pics up of that 6
andy

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 645 e64 2004 atlantic blue

Post by jashammy » 23 Jan 2013, 17:26

Hi luke maybe it's worth emailing BMWUK. This is what I did first then l booked it in to the dealer of my choice.they had previously agreed to contribute towards the cost but by the time I delivered it to the dealer they had agreed to foot the bill. Drop BMWUK a mail & see what they say

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

thebigluke
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 645ci ACS6

Post by thebigluke » 23 Jan 2013, 17:40

Thanks for the replies! I'll drop a mail to BMWUK and await a response...
Hopefully they'll acknowledge the issue now that they're a little more aware of it - and maybe I'll be able to use the heated seat in the future, I'm always jealous of my girlfriend as her side's fine!

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 645 e64 2004 atlantic blue

Post by jashammy » 23 Jan 2013, 17:47

Especially in this weather BBBBRRRRRR..!!!!

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

anthfinegan
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 2004 645Ci

Post by anthfinegan » 07 Feb 2013, 20:23

guys, is this worth raising with BMWUK so it gets to the stage of a safety recall before any one of us ends up with a hole in our kidney?! I'd rather get mine sorted before the problem presents itself.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 07 Feb 2013, 20:47

If enough people raise it, I guess it does become a recall? Maybe the dealership network feedback to BMW UK?

Return to “Interior”