wing mirror defrost fault

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 645 e64 2004 atlantic blue

wing mirror defrost fault

Post by jashammy » 30 Oct 2013, 17:54

hi im using the car for work at the mo as the white van is off the road & i noticed this morning that the passengers wing mirror didnt defrost like the drivers side,im sure it used to but not 100% sure.do they automatically defrost when the heater is on or window defrosters are on ?,im not quite sure as there isnt a button to switch them on.any ideas what this could be or anything i can look for before taking it to an auto electrician,how do i remove the mirror itself to have a look for loose wires.any help would be great.cheers

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"

The Cannonball Run
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 1997 Z3 1.9 The nice one
1998 Z3 1.9 £900 bargain?

Re: wing mirror defrost fault

Post by The Cannonball Run » 30 Oct 2013, 18:54

Sadly I don't know anything about the wiring, but I have always found they were linked to the use of the rear demister on previous higher specked motors I used to own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The Cannonball Run

Boy Nun, Boy Nun!

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: wing mirror defrost fault

Post by M60NJP » 30 Oct 2013, 19:29

As above - linked to the HRW so if that and the other mirror works, there's a disconnect or bad earth somewhere. Loose wires are likely to be 'door-side' so no need to remove the mirror at this stage (unless it turns out the element has failed in the mirror glass...). The wires come in behind the black triangle which houses the tweeter and then down the door and through the loom into the bottom of the A pillar - usually this is where a short or split will occur.........

Return to “Electrical”