Advice needed, thx!

For everything relating to the BMW 3 series
MoDrifter
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 318i

Advice needed, thx!

Post by MoDrifter » 02 Jul 2017, 17:47

Hi everybody, hope to get my own BMW soon and so need your advice, thx.

I'm in the middle of deciding what BMW to buy. I will be travelling once a week back n forth from the West Midlands to Manchester and not be using it much during the week except to go Gym a few miles down the road. Actually I'm not fully decided on the 318i yet, maybe a 320i is better for me or possibly a 325i. U see I want a Saloon which is easier if u get company with you sometimes if u know what I mean lol, a manual for handling the car much more better in the streets, a petrol to hear that exhaust, and powerful enough to have some limited fun at times when the boy racers try to show you up at the traffic lights, but decent on petrol so that u don't always get stressed out n worried about filling up again, and also decent on insurance and looks stylish, all in all I want a head turner on a budget, not to compete with supercars or M3's but just enough to gain some respect, sounding n looking good and feeling good to drive as I love to drive. I'm also curious about the back seats of the coupes, how spacious are they? I was also wondering about the handling as they are rear-wheel drive? I had a Honda Civic 5 door 1.4 manual petrol 2004 before and it was fine but boring, no style, no power, no nice sound, cheap build quality, a very plain car for me overall. The only good thing I liked about the car was that once I got used to it and knew its abilities I used to love how it handled so well on the streets at night when there's no traffic about and you have some fun thinking you are some sort of a solo rally driver when nobodys about and my friends started to respect me as they felt safe with my driving when I had bursts of madness! I will have about £1800 to buy one and was wondering what it costs to supply and fit a sports exhaust later on? So I hope some of you can take a few minutes of your time to advise me as best you can plz.

Thx.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Advice needed, thx!

Post by M60NJP » 02 Jul 2017, 18:06

Can't comment on insurance as we don't know your age or driving 'record'! Generally speaking, the larger the cc, the higher the premium.....but not always so worth running some dummy quotes through one of the comparison sites and see if the 318/320/325/328 makes enough difference to help you decide. At your budget you're in good e36 and decent e46 territory (depending on engine and spec).

The coupe rear seats in both are 'OK' for ferry your mates to the pub, but they wouldn't want to join your weekly jaunt to Manchester! However the saloons are quite a bit cheaper than the coupe/verts so you can get more for your money.....but of course it bites you back when you sell!

The 318 is a bit wheezy and you'll not win many traffic light grand prix ever! Most BMW enthusiasts will always recommend the 6-pot engines, so 320 upwards. Avoid the 323 as the engine is usually described as 'similar power to the 316, with similar fuel consumption to the 328!). You should be able to find a good 328i saloon for your budget.

A sports rear box is only a few hundred quid, a full system..........more the the car will be worth so don't bother!

MoDrifter
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 318i

Post by MoDrifter » 02 Jul 2017, 18:42

Thx for your reply. Well its gonna be a Saloon and will be looking for a 320i or 325i or 328i. I will find some of these for sale and check the insurance quotes and use the autotrader uk for the running costs as well.

Thx.

Prince
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E46 M3

Post by Prince » 08 Jul 2017, 09:34

Don't bother with the 320. The 4 pot petrols have timing chain issues and inevitably crap themselves. Running costs will be similar across all of them as service schedules and parts are all pretty much the same.
Matt
E46 M3
E60 530d

Return to “BMW 3 Series Forum”