Aircon, heater fan etc not working....help please!

For everything relating to the BMW 3 series

Aircon, heater fan etc not working....help please!

Postby RichKen » 09 Oct 2017, 18:57

Guys I have several items that are not powering up including Aircon, Heater fan, Heated rear screen, Glove compartment light and the two rear most interior lights. Also the engine cooling fan starts running after starting the engine from cold and runs until five seconds after engine switch off. I have checked the fuses in the main fuse box and the fuse at the battery and all seem to be fine but I may have missed something so I was wondering if there are any other fuse locations that I do not know about that may have blown, or is there a circuit breaker that has tripped that controls the above items of equipment. This follows battery disconnection whilst I replaced the rear off side wiring loom wiring. I have posted this elsewhere as I'm running out of time now and have not had much response so far! Many thanks if you can help me. Cheers Richard
RichKen
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: Three series touring 318i E91 2007

Re: Aircon, heater fan etc not working....help please!

Postby M60NJP » 09 Oct 2017, 19:51

Reads like the power down has confused some modules. First I'd completely reset everything by disconnecting the battery earth and leaving for 30 mins before reconnecting. After that, logic says to check the connections on the loom you've replaced. Why was it replaced and was whatever caused that need resolved first?
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby RichKen » 09 Oct 2017, 22:09

Many thanks for that. I replaced the cabling because the key fob had stopped activating the lock/unlock function. I found that the reason for this was due to fractured wires in the section of the rear right side harness that gets flexed when the boot or the parcel flap are opened and closed. Also because I found that several other wires had cracked insulation at the same point of flexing I decided to carry out repair work as follows. I cut the wires at the top and the bottom and moved them all up several inches so that a new section of cabling was doing the flexing then I grafted on links at the bottom. All joints were carefully soldered and protected with heat shrink. Before cutting the wires they were labeled so that there would be no confusion. Following this work everything at the back worked correctly.

During the two days I was doing this work I reconnected the battery so that I could secure the car at night because I have to park outside my home on a housing estate. I also drove the car a few miles but was not aware of the problems that later emerged that I'm looking for help here. I'm quite sure that I would have been aware of the engine fan issue and the heater fan and aircon not working.

Cheers Richard
RichKen
BMW Enthusiast

Postby RichKen » 10 Oct 2017, 11:12

M60NJP wrote:Reads like the power down has confused some modules. First I'd completely reset everything by disconnecting the battery earth and leaving for 30 mins before reconnecting. After that, logic says to check the connections on the loom you've replaced. Why was it replaced and was whatever caused that need resolved first?

I disconnected the battery as you suggested and left it for over 30 minutes before reconnecting and sadly no difference but thanks for your suggestion. Not sure what to try now.

Cheers Richard
RichKen
BMW Enthusiast

Postby M60NJP » 10 Oct 2017, 11:39

I'd approach them individually. The cooling fan reads like the sender is duff so that's fairly straightforward?

Modst later BMs have tweo fuse boxes - one inside the cabin and the other under the bonnet, worth checking that out too?
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby RichKen » 10 Oct 2017, 15:55

Thanks for that. Mine is a July 2007 318i E91 Touring. I thought that the additional box on the passenger side in the engine compartment was just for relays, please correct me if i'm wrong. BTW Although I have looked I cannot see how to get automatic notifications when someone responds to my thread. Cheers Richard
RichKen
BMW Enthusiast

Return to BMW 3 Series Forum