quad cam m70

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.
Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Re: quad cam m70

Post by Discostew38 » 07 Jun 2018, 18:32

Gear linkage pin :) some come off straight away and some don't I guess yours didn't

Good to see the build is coming along nicely
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

g73a
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: f01 730d

Post by g73a » 07 Jun 2018, 20:32

Pulled the engine tonight, it was actually way easier than I thought. Literally taking the inlet manifold off is harder.

Undid the engine mounts, pulled the prop shaft lifted it up and it slid straight out. Was not expecting that!

What’s this then...

Heater matrix pipes foul, will cut them off and weld -an fittings on behind the firewall so I can route them elsewhere.

Engine mounts are nowhere near tbh..

This isn’t a real issue. I will make a plate that bolts onto the engine, a plate that bolts onto the subframe then literally just bolt or weld something in between the two, this will give me the relative bolt positions so I can make a fixture and then make some proper mounts.

Front clip fitted

The engine probably has to go ~20mm further forwards because of other stuff but there’s still reasonable space inside the front for the radiator.

Engine mounts are basically the next step now, probably not until the end of next week though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cockneyrebel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 08 Jun 2018, 08:58

Glad the lumps finally got a home, gonna be watching with interest :-bd

g73a
BMW Enthusiast

Post by g73a » 10 Jun 2018, 17:38

Gearbox attached to engine

Back end of box bolted to chassis

I then discovered an issue.

The front of the bell housing is sat in the middle of the engine bay.

A while ago, I had a 320d and I did a clutch on it and I remember it being a bitch to get at the bell housing bolts so the gearbox definitely isn’t in the right place.

I am using a 323 gearbox mount, so maybe I need to get a 320d one, but they don’t look very different. I can’t imagine the petrol / diesel chassis have the mount holes in different places so I’m not quite sure what’s going on.

Worst case I’ll make my own fabricated or billet mount, but I’d rather use off the shelf parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g73a
BMW Enthusiast

Post by g73a » 14 Jun 2018, 20:15

waiting for a 320d box mount to turn up.

in the mean time I've filled in the v5, so lets see if anyone at the dvla questions my 5972cc 323ci :))

i deliberatly bought a pre 51 plate car so anything over 1500cc is 255 quid, so becuase im not changing the tax class there shouldnt be any issues. i've done a few bikes and never had any mither, so hopefully this'll be okay.

balancing company rang me today with some questions. theyre going to start working on the bits tomorrow, so hopefully can collect next week.

g73a
BMW Enthusiast

Post by g73a » 21 Jun 2018, 18:47

balanced bottom end picked up,

don't particularly understand the documents but they've drilled some holes in some places and neatly removed material from the rods and pistons.

considering that these engines were considered good enough for use by Rolls Royce in mass produced trim, if I've understood the documents correctly, we've improved the balance by a factor of 7. im really looking forward to balancing a 1p on top of it when it runs.

any rod and any piston can go on any journal, but the gudgeon pins have to stay with the piston its currently in.

these can go anyway for safe keeping for now, until ive finished the engine and gearbox mounts.

g73a
BMW Enthusiast

Post by g73a » 26 Jun 2018, 21:39

so seeing as im sweating my tits off, its time for some cool indoor work.

i'll be running the engine with a life racing ecu, but I want to keep the instrument cluster (IKE). most of the functions on the ike are controlled over canbus from various other modules (DME, EGS, ABS) which either aren't there or will probably be quite upset at the lack of DME (original engine ecu)

I've been playing with an Arduino connected to a canbus shield, to send can data to the ike and control it. I can control pretty much everything except for the little gearbox cluster (I've bought an ike out an automatic 318 because it has the extra gearbox display and highest non M red line on the rev counter)

I want to use the gearbox display to show the current engine map and launch control status. it also gives me the option of having a built in gear display if I ever fit a sequential gearbox (lottery win needed!)

anyway, i've bought an EGS (autogearbox ecu) so i can sniff the canbus and try to figure out how it tells the ike the gear / park / error status.

along the same lines as this, i've seen a really cool mod with a screen in one of the air vents, so you can display anything you want aslong as you can send it over can.

g73a
BMW Enthusiast

Post by g73a » 01 Jul 2018, 20:30

EGS ripped open wired to the Arduino;

the program in the Arduino sees everything that's coming out of the EGS on the can line.

that's what the EGS spits out.

The "ID" 43B and 43F are the addresses of the messages being transmitted by the EGS, all the different modules can see all the messages on the network, but they only care about certain things, for example the IKE (dash) only cares about 43F

inside each message are 8 bytes of data, the data is in hex and can go from 00 to FF. inside each byte you can use up to 8 bits, you work out the combination of the 8 bits in binary and then convert it to hex, which gives you the value of the byte.

in theory, you can switch on / off 64 things with each message if you wanted to.

once you know the messages that the module is sending, its a case of mimicking them and sending them from the Arduino to the dash, you can then change each byte and observe what changes on the dash.

after a bit of playing, I now know how to control the little gear cluster

like so;

im tempted to have a play with the LCM next, to see if i can control the lights from my computer.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 02 Jul 2018, 07:53

This post reconfirms what I already knew - I know very little about cars!!

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 02 Jul 2018, 11:27

The progress on this seams to be moving on nicely
I've never understood the cambus system it's way over my head
I'm contemplating a similar engine swop on my E39 I know I can get it all up and running on a stand alone ECU but my understanding is the rest of the car will stop working due to the cambus
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

Return to “Projects”