E36 328i convertible (Discowifey's car)

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.
Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Re: E36 328i convertible (Discowifey's car)

Post by Discostew38 » 13 Jun 2017, 09:02

Radio and dash cam
When we sold her touring I removed the radio (after market) and refitted the original and The dash cam
So the next job was to swop them over
The convertible had an after market radio anyway but it didn't have Bluetooth phone or USB
This should have been an easy fix but no (its been messed with by someone who thinks they know best)

Rant time
I know lots of people on here including myself have changed or modified stuff on there cars at some point
But my biggest bug bear is when it's just lashed up (do it properly or don't do it at all) or at least don't sell it to me later [-(

Now someone paid extra to have the harman kardon sound system
It has a sub an amp and 10 speakers and a CD changer
Now I know it's old but I should think it sounded ok and I'm sure you could have improved on it but not like this
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 817 times
The original amp was missing and the wires just chopped off at the plug and connect with connection blocks and a bunch of speaker cables running from the head unit to the back of the car
The extra wires hadn't been run correctly so the N/S sill trims didn't fit properly
The sub wasn't connected at all and only half the original speakers were connected
It could be that it had a really nice system and it was removed to sell or maybe the std amp had packed up and this was the best they could do
Either way a bodge job

It took me hours to find out what wire went to what speaker and mark them up and then find out what speaker wire from the head unit was for what corner of the car
But once I had it was just a matter of reconnecting them to the right ones
Then it was over to the sub and amp
Without the amp there would be no sub so sent Alison off to halfords to buy a new amp and I ordered a new sub from eBay (only a cheap one) it had to be better than what was originally there
image.jpeg
Amp
image.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 817 times
image.jpeg
Original sub
image.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 817 times
image.jpeg
New sub
image.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 817 times

The amp was tricky
There was only one place it could go and due to its size it had to be fitted from the inside
So I had to pre wire it and remove the roll bar to fit (it had to go in from the top where the roll bar fits)
I think you would agree that's a pretty nice fit (luck more than anything) as I could only find one amp at short notice
image.jpeg
Amp fitted
image.jpeg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 817 times
Because of the new amp I now had to run RCA leads and the trigger wire back to the head unit
To do this properly I had to remove the seats and lift up the carpet on the N/S because that's where the wire harness runs so more stuff to remove (I just seam to be take more bits off the car than I'm putting back at this point)
So it was nice to get to a stage where stuff was now going back
image.jpeg
Trims fitted
image.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 817 times
Much neater
With all the seats out it was time for Alison to get involved
I've always disliked the condition of the interior it was so grubby when we bought it
But I knew it would clean up ok if you put some time into it "and that's where Alison comes in"
We bought some (gliptone) as recommended by Andy (gus247)
Looking much better
image.jpeg
Seats
image.jpeg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 817 times
image.jpeg
Back seats in
image.jpeg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 817 times
Now I can move on with the next job/jobs
Plenty more to come later
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

cockneyrebel
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 13 Jun 2017, 09:16

Nice job Stew, looks & sounds like a nightmare :|

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 13 Jun 2017, 16:40

cockneyrebel wrote:Nice job Stew, looks & sounds like a nightmare :|
Thanks
It was mainly a time consuming job that I could of done without
But I've not finished yet!!!

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 13 Jun 2017, 16:53

As I had most of the interior out including the boot it was a good time to pump some wax about
image.jpeg
Wax
image.jpeg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 809 times
So every nook and cranny any hole leading to a panel section and all the open spaces etc are now full of wax so hopefully that should keep the rust at bay
I do this to all my car (anyone I plan on keeping long term) it was easier when I was still in the trade as I could take the car to work and use there wax ;)
I had the jet was out yesterday so cleaned the carpet mats as well
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 809 times

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 13 Jun 2017, 17:11

When we first bought it no one was using it and the batter kept going flat
Now I've had this before so I knew what was likely to be the problem (the factory fit alarm)
Had problems with the M5 and the Touring so ended up removing them both

And this was no different
So out with the old
image.jpeg
Mess
image.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 808 times
What a mess of untidy wires and boxes
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 808 times
With that lot out the next thing to do was to replace it with an after market remote central locking kit
But I've not got that far yet I can't work out the wiring so il have to update that another day
Until then it's just an old fashioned put the key in the hole and turn it (how did we cope back in the old days)

But no more flat battery's :thumbup:

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 13 Jun 2017, 19:08

The biggest chapter so far and the most expensive
THE ROOF

When we got the car it had a hard top on so never sore the soft top but the guy told us it was a bit tatty
Now I was happy with that for two reasons
1) we got the car cheaper for it
2) the plan was to replace the soft top anyway

So one of the first things we did was to remove the hard top and check the soft top
It all worked ok but the rear window had seen better days and was taped up and the seam above the window was coming apart
Also where it had been stowed away there was mould spots on the roof and head lining

The head lining did clean up but the strings had gone on one side so it was loose round the C post
image.jpeg
Before 1
image.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 799 times
image.jpeg
Before 2
image.jpeg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 799 times
Next step was to look into companies and prices
Not as easy as I expected only three companies come up within a 70 mile radius
1) Norwich "bloke working from home"
2) Romford "all hoods"
3) London "C E Mores"

Used C E Mores via Companies I've worked for in the past and they are very good but they are twice the price
The other two were the same price but we thought we mite get a better job from a known company
HOW WRONG WE WOULD BE ~x(

So booked it in at "All hoods" in Romford
Done it on a day I was of so we dropped the car off and went for a day out along the Essex coast
Didn't hear from them throughout the day so phoned them at 3:30pm
To be told the new roof was on but it no longer worked (great) :thumbdown:
Went back to see what was going on and spoke to the owner bloke
He said it's a common fault with all E36s it needs the straps (webbing straps that go between each roof bar they have a elastic part that helps the roof fold)
Now I was sort of familiar with this so I excepted what he was telling me
He even had them in stock so I told him to just fit them but he couldn't because the new roof was now drying (glue) and it couldn't be done today
I couldn't believe he had them in stock and had he just phoned us earlier and told me about the problem we would of just said "go ahead and do it"
But now we had to take the car away and rebook it for a Saturday for them to fit the straps and reset the roof [-(

On the way home I noticed a rattle coming from the top front trim (where the roof meets the screen frame)
Had a look when we got home and it was just the retaining clip had come away from the trim "no problem I thought" il point it out when we take it back "it needs to come off again to do the straps"
Couple days later I gave it a wash and noticed it had a water leak from the front edge above the door glass (not to bad but again I thought il just mention it when we take it back)

End of part one :-ss

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 13 Jun 2017, 19:11

Cue dodgy Essex blokes interjection........

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 13 Jun 2017, 21:11

Part two

So booked it back in to have the straps done and decided to get them to fit a new head lining at the same time
They could only do a Saturday and it was a day I was working so Alison had to go on her own and find things to do in darkest Romford for the day
Same as before no contact or updates during the day so after hours of window shopping and a couple films down the local cinema she went to collect the car

When she got there they were still working on it
And she was told it still didn't work :(( and she would need to bring it back and it would need a new hood motor
As that was the problem

IT WORKED BEFOREHAND WHY DON'T IT NOW ~x(

Anyway she handed over more money and took the car home
Now this is when I get really angry "it just gets worse"
My argument from the start was (It worked before it should work now)
We got a price on a new motor and it was £550 now with the money alison had already shelled out she couldn't afford that for a while
So what to do
Leave it not working?
Pay the man some more money?

I was convinced it wasn't the motor and I didn't want Alison giving that bloke anymore cash

THEN IT RAINED :o

The water leak it had was now a waterfall
We had to put plastic boxes in the car to catch the water
So he hadn't sorted the leak he had in fact made it a whole lot worse

So we now had a convertible that you couldn't use if it rained and if it was sunny you couldn't open the roof
Useless completely useless

Put the car in the garage and Phoned the bloke
He said he would sort it out when we bring it back
But that mite not be for a while due to costs and I wasn't convinced he would fix it anyway
Then I noticed something or two things
Remember the rattle from the detached clip?
This is how he fixed it
image.jpeg
Cable tie
image.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 791 times
Yes it is what your thinking
He's drilled two f*****g holes in a £250 trim and stuck a cable tie round it :-?? x_x
It don't end there
I also noticed something poking down on the new head lining
image.jpeg
H lining
image.jpeg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 791 times
Sharp to the touch and I'm sure in very little time it would have come through the head lining
"What was It" I hear you say
It was another cable tie, this time it was attaching the wiring loom to the new webbing straps
image.jpeg
Loom1
image.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 791 times
Hard to see from that photo but the loom should run through some cloth hoops attached to the new webbing straps
To do that you need to unplug the loom from the motors and thread it through
But that would take time so it's just been cable tied up

By now I'm really miffed
And there is no way I'm taking the car back to him so I told Alison "il sort it"
This is how the loom should run
image.jpeg
Loom loose
image.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 791 times
image.jpeg
Loom fitted
image.jpeg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 791 times
So that's one fault sorted
Now as I had to open the roof to do any of the jobs it didn't take long to find out why it was leaking like a power shower
image.jpeg
Roof rubber
image.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 791 times
Both sides of the front rubber wasn't fitted properly so the water was just running straight past it
The rubber its self didn't look to bad but as I don't like doing things twice I thought it best to replace it as I had to remove it to refit it properly (not a quick decision as it's expensive VERY expensive) but I thought it would make a better job at the end of the day
One of the door rubbers had a small split in it as well so replace both of them for good measure
image.jpeg
Spilt rubber
image.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 791 times
image.jpeg
New rubber
image.jpeg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 791 times
So with all the water related problems sorted it was on to next and biggest problem
Why don't the roof work

As I said before I was convinced it didn't need a motor so it was now down to a step by step process of elimination
I looked at the motor and it had been "messed with" now as I had already had the boot trims out beforehand when I was fitting the parking sensors I knew it had been messed with after that time as it looked fine back then
It looked like someone had been prying it with a screwdriver/bar
So I bought a second hand one off eBay anyway
But as though no change the roof still didn't work
Lots of checking and head scratching later I tracked it down to a broken stopped (this helps to assist the hood as it folds into its hatch
And without it the hood won't fold enough to trigger a micro switch so the ECU don't know if it's up or down
image.jpeg
Stopper
image.jpeg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 791 times
It's a £9 part and I guess they broke it as they replaced the soft top but didn't realise how important it was
I replaced the gas struts on the hood frame and horse shoe to help assist the motors as they are getting on a bit now so slightly weaker than once was
image.jpeg
Rams
image.jpeg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 791 times
As I was doing this everywhere I looked was drill swarth and pop rivet heads from where they had fitted soft top
image.jpeg
Crap
image.jpeg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 791 times
image.jpeg
Crap2
image.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 791 times
Just more reasons to not use "all hoods"
So with the new stopper installed and the roof reset it was now working and just a matter of sorting out the trim clip/cable tie
It should look like this
image.jpeg
Old clip
image.jpeg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 791 times
As it was missing I had to make a new one because buying a new trim was out of the question
And then fixing the holes
I had to attach the new clip by drilling another hole and bolting it through with a nice dome Allen bolt
But I then had to do the same on the other side so it would match
So with some epoxy resin and some satin black paint this was the end result
image.jpeg
New clip
image.jpeg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 791 times
image.jpeg
Trim
image.jpeg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 791 times
So after some fine adjustments to some cables catches and the door glass it's done
image.jpeg
Down
image.jpeg (3.67 MiB) Viewed 791 times
image.jpeg
Up
image.jpeg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 791 times
So if your thinking of buying a convertible or you have one and your thinking of getting a new roof
Here's a brake down of costs

Soft top £600
Head lining £550
Straps £350
Door rubbers £220 each
Roof front rubber £350
Gas struts £75
Stopper £9

And most importantly
DON'T USE All hoods in Romford
He knows nothing
I'm now a pro by default :-bd

Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring

Post by Gus247 » 14 Jun 2017, 09:59

Holy crap, what a saga!! I'd be fuming mate... Seeing as you've gone to all that trouble, I have a brand new, genuine BMW rear roof seal for a vert (this is the one that sits around the bottom edge of the roof, under the rear window section) which is yours, if you want it... Bought it for ours but never got around to fitting it... (shocker!! :)) )
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK

cockneyrebel
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 14 Jun 2017, 10:23

Bad bad bad Stew, hope you're gonna have a "word"

Return to “Projects”