Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.

Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Postby touch_reality » 31 Mar 2017, 19:35

Evening,

So time to re-write a fresh post and get all the info I can in about the current build and it's progress and the sheer time and money I seem to throw at this thing never ends xD

First off the car and why I did this.

It was my 2nd car in my driving life after owning a Almera Sport + I decided on a change of pace, My old man used to have BMW's all the time, From a E30,E32,E34 Etc etc and now own's a E39 M5 Silverstone Edition. I got the bug from a early age as a kid and I always loved the old E39 328 we owned. I saw this one up for sale for around £550 originally but after some bargaining with the polish guy's who owned it I got it for £450 because the driver window just kept falling down.

The car itself was in reasonable shape when I picked it up, Black with full black leather interior it was gorgeous and when you're ( I think 22/23 ) It was just an awesome thing to sit in after idolizing them for years. It had a few issues mostly standard maintanence it needed full new brakes, shocks, springs, oil change, new window reg arm among a few other bits and slowly over the course of a year I picked up all the bit's on my meager earnings and got into the forums and started seeing stuff other people have done with their rides. I got a tad inspired or corrupted which ever way you look at it. I wanted to improve the car but tastefully and in keeping with as close to OEM as possible so I started slowly sourcing some parts starting with the M-Tech kit and 328 exhaust system and the rear spoiler and so forth and gradually she grew and grew on me even more to the point where I thought to myself if I ever get a big unit I'm going to rebuild her right down to the nut's and bolts... and a few months later I had a unit.. a corsa.. and the BMW up on bricks.

4 years down the line since I took her off the road she's still not complete, with a new job taking me away from home every week of the year for 5 days it was hard to find energy when I got back to do anything short of a little bit here and there. However things have changed again and I am once again pushing on.

So to update on what's happened so far along with a shit ton of photos... Please bear with because seeing is believing after all and I believe I may have picked a hell of a job to take on.

I have had to update this post completely due to the old photo host basically turning pants. Rather then do through reading it all I'm just going to run a quick update :P

So the car itself started off as this:

Image - The hazard tape I think was works way of saying I'm a hazard...

Shortly after deciding I was taking it off the road it ended up like this:

Image - Lucky the rust was very small surface rust grinded off and recovered in many layers of black gooey stuff

Anyway by this point the car was a shell with windows and the loom.

Then parts started arriving! ( This isn't in order just the stuff I've aquired for it over time :P

Then the work started pushing on bit by bit:

-

I have about 300 pictures of the build so far xD But these show the best and most I suppose important moments.

Realistically I need a small parcel of fixings, a clutch and I can drop the thing back in and start it. However the list of things to do now is still pretty huge.

Order of importance.

Replace Driver side E46 330D Caliper after I busted the previous one.
Bleed Break system and check all pipe work for leaks before finishing it off.
Finish heat painting the engine black and silver
Refit ancillaries to engine
Clean up the diff and gearbox and repeat with usual paintwork.

Refit diff to the car and fix half shafts.

Fit prop shaft.

Check all fuel lines are secure and replace any of the busted clips that I broke from when I ripped it out :D

Refit engine and reattach everything - See if it starts, cross fingers, expect big explosion.

Non essentials ( What I class as thing's I don't need to do to make it run )

Fit sound system, Stereo and new speakers etc. This is quite pricey so I'm pushing it to the back of the to do list so I can focus on the important things. All the new wiring is in place I literally just need components and amp and a stereo.

Fit new lights - I need to aquire some nice looking ones was hoping for Depo ones but so far no dice. I'm using the originals for now to test electrics.

Refit all interior lighting - again I don't really want to do this as I've redone the roof lining to black felt but the light cases are grey and look pants =/ but for test purposes they will suffice.

Prep and Spray all body work - Again not fussed as I won't be touching this till the weather warms up. With the new 200ltr compressor should be a piece of cake. =))

I'm changing the vast majority of the fixings on the engine stainless ie; bolts etc because it's the only thing that really rusts up in the bay and the vast majority of the engine components are aluminum.

Next month should see a new water pump/pulley/fan + a load more engine components once they arrive I'll be getting everything refitted and the engine will be complete. I want to aim to have it running by the end of April so I can spray in may. Ryhms :P However with all my previous best laid plans we shall see if I manage it!
Last edited by touch_reality on 16 Nov 2017, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: E36 323i SE Saloon
E46 325i SE Touring

Re: Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Postby cockneyrebel » 31 Mar 2017, 19:43

Like your thoroughness / OCD, can't have too much of either. :d
cockneyrebel

Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Postby Metroreg » 31 Mar 2017, 19:55

Now thats you call a project thread start from the bottom upwards well done mate
MODS TEAM
Sam

BMW Enthusiasts is a free club for everything BMW related

E46 330ci Vert

Check out our new home page! >> BMW Forum
Metroreg

Car model: E46 330ci Vert

Postby touch_reality » 31 Mar 2017, 19:57

Metroreg wrote:Now thats you call a project thread start from the bottom upwards well done mate

Thanks guy's appreciate the love. Yea I may have bit off more then I can chew though xD You wouldn't wanna take a guess at how much BMW want for some realllly specific bolts I needed haha.

And yes my OCD is un real in this case. Maybe I should get checked :P haha
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby Gav325ci » 01 Apr 2017, 00:08

Nice work so far mate :thumbup:
Gav325ci
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 2005 BMW E46 325ci

Postby touch_reality » 01 Apr 2017, 17:29

It's getting there at a snails pace. haha

Installed the new bonnet cable today along with the new side quarter windows with new seals :) Looks much better didn't get any photos mind as I forgot. Also stripped down the engine too and removed anything I didn't need ready to be cleaned and painted.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby RayB » 01 Apr 2017, 18:01

An unusual choice of base car with it being a saloon as well............it's not very often a 323 gets this amount of attention unless your name is Andy Gus247

Excellent work so far with the attention to detail and hopefully we'll get to see it a show one day.
RayB
Site Owner

Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Postby touch_reality » 01 Apr 2017, 19:56

I fell in love with the car when I first had it, I know it's not your every day vert, coupe but I just always seemed to see myself driving this car haha. I'd love to get it to a show some time this year but I think it will more likely be next year with the work on the car left to do
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby Gus247 » 04 Apr 2017, 06:50

awesome effort so far bud... keep going with it! that first time it's all back together will be well worth the efforts!!! :thumbup:
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring

Postby Iggy » 04 Apr 2017, 14:06

looks like its going to be amazing wen complete. your defo brave!
Iggy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: E36 328 sport

Next

Return to Projects