Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.

Re: Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Postby Gus247 » 01 Jun 2017, 07:51

coming on well bud... :thumbup:
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK
Gus247
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 01 Jun 2017, 20:46

Thanks guys! Aye it's moving along now that I'm back home full time. Tyres never arrived off Ebay 10 days later. Seller was a absolute legend though. Refunded me the full amount AND sent me a new set of tyres free of charge for the hassle. Guy was a stunning example of how people can actually give a shit. So I'm using the cash he sent me back to pick up some more parts from BMW!

I need to do some really updated photos so im off sunday Ill make sure I get a few more of the current state of affairs because we all no every one loves a picture ;D
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: E36 323i SE Saloon
E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 11 Jun 2017, 16:57

Wassup!

So today I got around to mucking in on the car again! Pick up the calipers Tuesday so can't wait. Will mean I can finally bleed the brake system and check a pretty big overhaul job off the list completely! Also I was pretty busy the last few weeks making stuff shiny.

And also

I can't fit the center caps because one they are still work in progress with a lot of minor ingrained dint's and two the fascia plates they sit on are beyond my patience to sand down. So they are getting blasted and coated because nuts to hand sanding something that resembles the shire hills.

Also 17s BBSRC041's fitted with tires yay! Which means the calipers on Tuesday will fit nicely and everything will be stress free. Yes the ride heights high but thats due to one having no engine bay and two I set the drop to standard while it's in build and I'll adjust when I actually have a engine in the bay.

Things are progressing nicely. I have the enamel for the engine so that starts next week as well :) hopefully 2/3 weeks and the diff will be coated, engine enameled and all seals replaced may even do the Vanos while it's out of the car for some long life maintenance.

Stay tuned as more photo's to come this week of the sanding and prep progress! As well as the new calipers being fitted ;D
Last edited by touch_reality on 16 Nov 2017, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby cockneyrebel » 11 Jun 2017, 18:48

Excellent progress, starting to take shape now :thumbup:
cockneyrebel

Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Postby Iggy » 12 Jun 2017, 09:13

what size bolts did you use for the bbs rim 8mm? wheels look nice!
Iggy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: E36 328 sport

Postby touch_reality » 12 Jun 2017, 17:20

cockneyrebel wrote:Excellent progress, starting to take shape now :thumbup:

With how much I'm sanding I'm not sure what shape it'll be when im done xD

Iggy and yes bud 8mm x 30 I used the protruding heads as I didn't like the button topped ones. A2 Stainless all around. You can get brand new nearly OEM from Pertsch but thats just a lot of money for OEM gains.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 14 Jun 2017, 22:33

So picked these up today ^_^

The newly coated uprated front brakes and they look mint <3

Fitting tomorrow so off to bed now. Expect more photos. Not bad for £36

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 16 Nov 2017, 16:26

So after photobucket basically became the devil :P I moved everything to Imgur. Ive updated the main first post and re-ordered it slightly for easier viewing!

So after my last post I did in fact fit the calipers and replace all the components on them for new. In the process of removing one of the bleed nipples it sheared off in the caliper and after drilling it out it pulled the internal thread with it looked like a Helicoil so wasn't pleased. So I have to order one 330d caliper :P

Not a lot happened afterwards as I had basically spent all my money in Tokyo :D

Engines finally being painted up. Still requires some cleaning on the front and rear but the sides were degreased and given a healthy several coats of high temp enamel in black. The tops will be silver. I was tempted to continue the sky blue theme but thought better of it. I want the engine bay to be sleek and clean with only a few small bit's colored to bring it out even more. Pulled the prop shaft turns out it's fine I just need to order a locking nut with I lost and it's ready to be installed.

Diff is in good shape still and just needs a tidy up. So between that engine and prop I'm pretty good for todo jobs the next few weeks.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 26 Nov 2017, 19:04

So spent a couple hours up the garage was damn cold so didn't stay too long that and a killer head ache came on :(

Anyway decided to test out the compressor with the shot blasting cabinet and works a dream finally! Went in black came out not quite so black Image

Ended up sticking the entire diff in after sealing off the edges and went to town could have done with some bigger grit ended up finishing with a stiff wire brush to get the more stubborn rust off.

Half painted now left it to dry while I went home :P I'm determined to get the diff installed before the end of the year, while I wait for parts to turn up to finish the engine off with!

Whats everyone else up to on their wagons this winter? :D
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 28 Nov 2017, 18:46

So I ended up having a splurge on parts... Picked up a new LUK Clutch, Gearbox mounts and engine mounts, stat and housing, gear linkage bushes, some cleaner and a few other minor bits and bobs. Essentially all that's needed now is a radiator and some paint work and some fiddling with the fuel tank and I'm good to go! Its not quite that simple but in terms of just starting the car and refitting the engine it's a short run now.

With the new 4HP Compressor running the blasting cabinet life has become somewhat easier with parts no longer do I need to sand/grind/flap disk! Huzzah!

I ended up sticking in the coolant pipe, oil filter housing and the power steering pump. I have plenty more bit's to run through it now :P Oh and the throttle body. These are now ready for painting. Once engines finished with paintwork I can start looking at re-attaching these various bits and bobs.

Back up at the weekend so expect more pics!
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

PreviousNext

Return to Projects