Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.

Re: Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Postby touch_reality » 01 Dec 2017, 20:00

Woo more goodies arrived today!

Clutch, Engine and Box mounts, Sump plug and gasket, Picked up replacement SS Bolts from the factors nearby to replace any non load bearing bolts on the engine externally so basically everything will last a lot longer. Only thing I can't really replace are the studs but meh.

Off to fit some of it tomorrow up the garage.

Meyle mounts look bigger then I remember them.. but nevermind they'll fit or they won't :P
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: E36 323i SE Saloon
E46 325i SE Touring

Postby cockneyrebel » 01 Dec 2017, 20:58

Action pics needed or it don't never happened :lol:
cockneyrebel

Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Postby touch_reality » 01 Dec 2017, 21:56

cockneyrebel wrote:Action pics needed or it don't never happened :lol:

Hahaha Ill try and remember to get some tomorrow while I'm up there fitting things :P ( Breaking )
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 04 Dec 2017, 18:56

So I got some photos but yea as usual I forgot the important stuff xD

Nearly finished painting up the engine however I realised I missed a spot while cleaning it sooo... yea.

Also I got bored and wanted to see what color this paint was I had thus this happened.

One of the engine. Replaced majority of the bolts and such with Stainless unless they are ofc load bearing.

More stuff coming, Mostly fixings, gaskets and stat housing, pipes, vanos feed pipe etc etc. More to come next weekend
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby cockneyrebel » 04 Dec 2017, 19:14

Looking great, will all be worth it when finished :thumbup:
cockneyrebel

Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Postby touch_reality » 04 Dec 2017, 21:50

cockneyrebel wrote:Looking great, will all be worth it when finished :thumbup:

I've been saying that for four years now haha! Once the engines running and I can hear her ticking along then I'll be happy. Thats my main concern currently so I just want minimal install to test the engine first, then if all's well I'll full steam for full assembly and then check all the running gear and run tests etc before doing any paint work and such
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 07 Dec 2017, 18:46

More stuff arriving :)

Just awaiting a gasket and some paint now oh and the proper fillister screws for the clutch. Made up another list of bit's need to check to see if I have the old ones floating around like plastic brackets most I broke in random fit's of rage :P I was going to order new tank straps but apparently each strap is around £50 so yea.. No. I'm popping the old ones in the sand blaster then treating and then some oxide paint and then some Hammers black :P Should keep them from going any worse for the duration of time I'll be alive driving the damned thing. Considered making my own from SS strips but I don't have a metal bender yet.

New Vanos pipe + some ally banjos from some supplier on ebay really decent quality will likely replace the majority with said banjo's like steering rack etc. Also the new stat housing is here huzzah. Along with the a bunch of stainless flange nuts and wave washers for various places. This is going to be one very well presented engine after I'm done :P Actual work happening at the weekend so stay tuned!"
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 09 Dec 2017, 18:35

Progress!

Unfortunately BMW in watford or wherever didn't send my oil housing gasket, I got a fake tracking number though. Great job.

Engines "nearly" finished in terms of high temp paint works. New stat housing is in. Replaced the rusty crappy nuts on the Vanos unit with new stainless ones.

Brothers picked me up a water pump for xmas :D + the pulley. So yea January and this thing should "hopefully" Be getting installed. Now I'm just getting the rest of the ancillaries prepped up for paint. More to come.

I am going to do a Vanos rebuild before I reassemble the car's front end however at the moment I need to get the engine running to see if there's any issues that crop up that are more important.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 10 Dec 2017, 19:02

I realised today I am a moron and cannot even on threat of death keep nuts and bolts where I don't lose them..

So I'm ordering new ones tomorrow for the power steering housing to attach to the oil housing :P

Anyway today I managed to finish the diff. It's not perfect and honestly I would have preferred to strip it down to the bone pressure wash it, shot blast it, powder coat it and reassemble however money being what it is I can't afford the expense or justify it on a standard diff.. so in the future I'll pick up a LSD and do a full rebuild on that.

Next time I'm up I'll re-fit the Diff I think and look at rebuilding a bit more of the engine. I have a week off at the end of the year and I want to make the most of it by getting the box and engine back in the motor!

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Postby touch_reality » 17 Dec 2017, 18:02

So last few days off I had been doing odd jobs mostly around the car.

Replaced the fuel filter finally although I realised I snapped off filter housing threaded bit that comes out of the floor pan so I'll be tech screwing the new one in ;P Gave the underside a scrub down to see if I needed to grind down any old bits but so far so good. Just a repaint of underseal and lots of it. Engine mounts etc etc are all fitted, Engines had some major work I shot blasted basically anything metal and all the black stuff I went around and resprayed all the parts today and re-fitted them. Decided I'm going to pull the entire loom out of the car and re-fit it to the engine while the engines out. This seems to be like the best option going forward as a big majority of the cabling is under the intake on a metal bracket which I;ve re-done. Engines looking great though, the two mounting brackets got proper BMW fixings for them anything non-load bearing has been switched to stainless.

Whats left to get the engine in and attempt to start it?

Waterpump/Pulley
Refit Tensioner
Pick up 100mm M8 Bolts to hold the Steering pump in.
Drive Belt.
Refit wiring loom to engine components.
Refit Flywheel and gearbox
Alternator

Turn key - Hope it doesn't explode.

So the engines gone from this

To this

Also Diff back in

Little annoyed because I just realised that some rust is coming through the powder coaing. So I'll be wire wooling it spooning on some anti-rust gel. Clean it off and I'll be getting some paint mixed to match the RAL Code to cover it up. Apart from that it's looking dusty so just needs a clean ;D

5 Days of work left then Xmas off! I'll be getting the engine re-fitted during that week so stay tuned!
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast

E46 325i SE Touring

Previous

Return to Projects