Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E36 323i SE Saloon
E46 325i SE Touring

Re: Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Post by touch_reality » 24 Dec 2017, 15:47

So xmas eve and disaster strikes!

The clutch I bought was sent in the correct box. Just the wrong things in the box :P Turns out according to LUK Part numbers it's for a ford even though the LUK Box states the number for the BMW. So on to ebay to get them to send me the correct one after xmas..

Sump/Loom is all on the engine now! Just got to wait for the clutch to arrive :P Had some minor issues with the sump one being one of the old long bolts had welded itself into the case so I had to angle grind through it so I could crush it and it's out. Little bit of a Chem Metal later and it's like I never did anything ;)

Anyway the entire engine is wired up now apart from the Lambda sensors and such. Once clutch arrives I can attach the fly wheel/clutch and gearbox and pop it in the car and attempt a test start!

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 27 Dec 2017, 17:21

So clutch issue fixed. The guy was really cool and sent me a returns label FOC and will refund me the money ( Via Ebays Refund request thing ). So that should be back around 3rd Jan so in the mean time I ordered a new Borg and Beck clutch that SHOULD be the correct one getting sent this time :P

Gearbox awaiting it's time to shine. All refilled with new fluids and seals!

Just awaiting the water pump alloy pulley now. Wasn't going to use the OEM Composite ones.

I also made a huge boo boo and kept back the hoses from the E39 Fuel rail to solid fuel lines instead of the E36 ones which are about twice as long and only one locking end. However after much deliberation I opted for 145PSI rated braided fuel hose with some hefty fuel clamps that can handle upwards of 75psi. Fuel rail for E36 operates 3.5bar I think... I know the S50/52 is around 5.0 bar so I aimed for 5 bar :P The 2 hoses and clamps cost me the same as a original from BMW.. so no brainer really.

Half shaft bolts ordered as well although I'm not convinced the existing half shafts will be much good after I accidentally bent one of the rims the bellows sit on slightly however it's holding currently once it starts spinning we'll see them.

Started feeding some brake fluid into the system so far the only leak was from hose with no caliper attached.... :)) Hose clamped it and pushed some through the system because I'm impatient. So far no leaks that I can see so my flares can't have been that bad! :P

Taking the day off tomorrow as the E46 is into BMW for a free airbag swap and a sort through my paper work to make up the next list of pieces I need :D

I've learned a huge amount so far on this project and also realized a few limitations haha mainly money the cost was spiraling so I had to make a call on thing's like replacing stuff I don't need too.

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 28 Dec 2017, 21:55

First off got to say I'm loving the new Forum layout feels updated and more pleasing to the eye. Good job guys! :thumbup:

In project news, Apparently Christmas doesn't stop some suppliers I order regularly from an Ebay seller who stocks a huge range of Meyle parts ( Which so far touch wood I have had 0 issues with ) Est Delivery 6th Jan arrives today at 9am. Legend.

Anyway new water pump pulley arrived, guibo, rad pipes and center bearing so off to the unit tomorrow to fit. Hopefully clutch arrives tomorrow as well as new fuel pump.

Ebay done a 20% code for a few hours so I snatched up a pair of Bosch ABS sensors for cheap.

Also found some interesting info today while hunting around - If you ever want to replace your bolts for the exhaust manifold on the M52 etc try stealer code 11127593376 these studs come off the E90 but fit fine apparently also have a torx head so much easier to remove/install. They are 3mm shorter then the original studs used in the M52 but I'll live with 3mm over ease of use, Both are M7.

Also took the E46 into for Airbag recall so that's all sorted and they did a health check on the entire car while I was there and came back with a full sheet of green! Nice to know I don't have any immediate issues on my daily :P

Anyway more photos tomorrow once shafts are re-fitted and MAYBE I'll get the clutch in too.

Metroreg
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E46 330ci Vert

Post by Metroreg » 29 Dec 2017, 01:15

Thanks touch_reality for the first line spent over the last couple of hours upgrading the site, thanks for the feedback for Me and Ray, plus the great write up on the car spot on, keep on going mate, we do like a write up
MODS TEAM
Sam

BMW Enthusiasts is a free club for everything BMW related

E46 330ci Vert

Check out our new home page! >> BMW Forum

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 29 Dec 2017, 20:02

Metroreg wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 01:15
Thanks touch_reality for the first line spent over the last couple of hours upgrading the site, thanks for the feedback for Me and Ray, plus the great write up on the car spot on, keep on going mate, we do like a write up
No worries glad it all went smoothly for you!

In other news 300d brakes all fitted! However issues with the MC :( Oh and also RC041 17"s hit both calipers on the bolts holding the split rims together.. Needs a 5mm spacer to fix. So chucked the 18's from my E46 on for now as I've noticed that the comfort has increased 10 fold due to having low profiles on the 18's and standard tyres on the 16s :)

Propshaft is rebuilt and ready to install. Hopefully clutch arrives tomorrow and I can get on with things.

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 31 Dec 2017, 16:23

Ok I suck at taking photos - Anyway todays update.

Clutch still not arrived so likely hood is just after new years it'll appear so next week the engine and box should be making a reappearance in the vehicle for the first time in 4 years. Something I realized while working on the underside is that I left it sat around so long some stuff doesn't quite look as good as it used too mainly just needs a good clean up from dust/grease. But some stuff like the powder coating I'm annoyed has rusted through slightly in places as mentioned in a earlier post. But hey ho that's my own fault for leaving the car for 2 years :P

I've spent the last 2 days working on the underside rear/Interior/Engine Bay this is whats been happening:

Half shafts correctly fitted now with new bolts and reinforcement places

Fuel tank and expansion tank is now all refitted correctly and all the lines plumbed in.

Propshaft rebuilt and installed, cable tied up the guibo to the gear shift linkage so it doesn't drag/catch on the floor when rolling the shell ready for the engine to be installed.
Redone the wiring loom in the engine bay with some new Tesa tape look's much tidier/cleaner then the previous plastic tape used.

Ground alot of rust off the slam panels treated half of it got to use some filler on some parts along the top which acts as the bonnet ledge as it looks pants.

FINALLY! Installed the accelerator cable+pedal correctly. I couldn't for the life of me work out how the spring went and a brief moment on a video showing it I had it back in and springing back when pressed. Also got round to resecuring the loom under the steering wheel while I was under there.

I have a few parts needed to get the car to a point where I can test start it.

Fuel sender
Fuel line/clamps
Wheel spacers as my 18"s kinda rub ;D

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 01 Jan 2018, 09:01

Getting there!!... Always a good read, keep up the good work and get yourself a photographer :lol:

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 01 Jan 2018, 15:26

RayB wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 09:01
Getting there!!... Always a good read, keep up the good work and get yourself a photographer :lol:
Hahaha! You offering Ray.. Pay and Benefits include bacon sarnies and cups of tea. ;D

Low and behold I took some photos today!

Brakes finally completely bled through and working perfectly. Pedal travel before resistance is really small which is nice! MC wasn't screwed after all just some serious air in it. I had two leaks in the entire system one was Pass side rear and one at the ABS where I didn't screw the fitting back in completely. Anyway with the brakes finally fixed, Transmission is all ready to receive the engine, electrics all back and sorted I figured seeing as there was no obvious issues to sort out mechanically I decided to continue with the bodywork.

The rear spoiler is going to be a issue as the nuts and studs have rusted to hell so I am going to drill them out remove the spoiler and then cut open the left/right sides on the top to pull out the old studs and replace with new ones and then fill the cut out with resin and then filler on top. Should keep it nice and snug.

Pulled off the front bumper and got it up onto the bench for a sand down and filled any of the more chunky scrapes and scuffs. Started marking up the bodywork where I had taken back to base coat for any small dents/marks/chips for filling.

Figured I'd get all the prep work done so that when the engines in and working fine and the underside center is finished I can seriously consider starting up the spray work which is going to take an entire day of me locked away in the unit during the summer next year.

The offending brake pipe is fixed! I've also ordered two new rear hubs/bearings. Due to the previous issue with the coaters coating the surface it screwed some of the threads inside and thus is stripping the bolts going in so replacing them with new ones to save myself any more hassle.

Even in the 18" those 330d brakes look huge xD

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 04 Jan 2018, 17:33

Rear Bosch ABS sensors arrived :) Not shabby for £48 quid for the pair!

New stainless bleed nippels for rear calipers and clutch slave. Although they sent me a pack of 1 for the rears instead of a pack of two that I ordered.. Little annoyed but not the end of the world.

E46 Is in for MOT tomorrow so fingers crossed! Shortly after I'll be up the unit to fit the engine! :D

RayB
Site Owner
Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Post by RayB » 04 Jan 2018, 17:39

Please tell me you're getting rid of those front indicators?!?!

When is the end date planned for?

Return to “Projects”