Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Show off your projects here, remember, a picture paints a thousand words so don't be shy with uploading those pics.
touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E36 323i SE Saloon
E46 325i SE Touring

Re: Touchs E36 323i Saloon - The Over Zealous Approach

Post by touch_reality » 04 Jan 2018, 19:26

RayB wrote:
04 Jan 2018, 17:39
Please tell me you're getting rid of those front indicators?!?!

When is the end date planned for?
Believe it or not they kinda grew on me =)) They were meant to come with a set of headlights but this one just appeared in my unit. Probably from a box of parts I bought. I actually like them coupled with the main unit all black internals and from the front doesn't look terrible. haha I'll decide on lights when the time comes.

Honestly don't have one I'd like to say the end of May which is around my 30th :? But likely end of next year there is still a massive amount of work to be done on it. Engines second hand so I'll find out if it's good or not soon! ;D

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 05 Jan 2018, 21:02

So the E46 Passed it's first MOT with me with nothing more then a close to the legal on one of the tyres. Tester said it was a tidy motor so happy days! Another year of the touring.

Also this happened.

And the engines back in!

Lots to reconnect as it was getting late and I was hungry.

No major issues encountered even doing it by myself. Not back up there till friday next week now due to work. However on brief inspection the fuel hoses look like they may actually reach so we shall see!

Ignore the green lambda bracket I was bored and decided it would be a good idea ;D

Next jobs are to re-connect all the loom/switches and such.

Check all the coolant hoses are attached and strapped down

Reconnect the drive shaft

Try and run power through the loom to see if everything starts picking up.

Fit replacement sender unit - stick in some fuel and see if it explodes.

Metroreg
Car model: E46 330ci Vert

Post by Metroreg » 05 Jan 2018, 21:06

Well done on the Touring and the engine install, fingers crossed it goes all OK for next Friday
MODS TEAM
Sam

BMW Enthusiasts is a free club for everything BMW related

E46 330ci Vert

Check out our new home page! >> BMW Forum

cockneyrebel
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 05 Jan 2018, 21:11

Well done on pass, cars starting to take shape nicely :-bd

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 05 Jan 2018, 21:19

cockneyrebel wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 21:11
Well done on pass, cars starting to take shape nicely :-bd
Cheers guys.

Yea here's hoping :P

Likely won't start the car next friday as I still need to order the pump and I'm overspent on car budget already so no more till the end of the month ( He says ) However if my gift card from sky turns up... ;D

Managed to get the spacers on the front too so no more rubbing.. Kinda liking the MV1's on the E36 as well so may end up being my winter wheels! Little miffed as I scuffed the paint in the engine bay so when I get round to spraying the car I think I'll mask up the engine and bit's and give it a quick blast over and a couple extra coats of clear.

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 12 Jan 2018, 17:17

Afternoon All!

So today was a good day.

Started off with jacking up the car and finishing connecting any loose pipework and sensor connections such as the gearbox connector and some of the heating hose's. Fitted the new fuel sender which arrived may have to replace the fuel hose at the back at some point as it's starting to look a little worse for wear. So ordered another length of braided hose to replace it.

Switched out the naffed bleed nipples for the stainless ones I picked up on the clutch and rear brakes. And refitted the new ABS sensors on the rear. Also sorted the prop shaft out and got that fitted to the gearbox. Box seems a bit notchy but I'm putting that down to being empty of fluids hopefully that will improve once it see's use again. Goes into all gears fine though including reverse.

Fitted the battery and went to start the car.. Nothing. Not even a tickle. Dash lights all came on but no juice at the starter so started problem hunting/solving. Came up blank tried the "EWS" Deleted ecu and the original and nothing. Now I'm sat there scratching my head wondering why I'm not getting a switched live to the starter only to then be told by my brother I may be missing some fuses as he robbed a few for his land rover.. Low and behold fuse 31 is missing along with 2 others.. Replaced them and my heater starts working again ( Which has been annoying me for months ) and the engine finally turned over!

Nothing untoward happened and all electrics seem to be working fine! Just got to add the new fuel hose on sunday and drop some liquid goodness in her and see what happens. Will likely compression test before I do anything else though to save myself any hassle.

Thats all for today! Pics below.. That side shot just makes me happy

Image - Also only 133k on the clock xD 10k Less then my E46 Now haha not bad for a 20 year old car.

Image :-bd

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 14 Jan 2018, 15:59

SHE LIVES!!!

Attached new fuel lines.. Turned key and primed the fuel pump a few times. . . Checked for leaks and smells of fuel.

Sat in the car.

Turned the key.

Started first time, sat at 1000 rpm then dropped to around 650-670rpm and sat roaring away as I had no exhaust on.

Mission success. However I have misplaced my old radiator so I need to source a temp one until I pick up the Mishimoto full Ally one.

Huzzah!

No Videos as I was so excited I drained the old battery I was using.. Will fix this later in the week :P

cockneyrebel
Car model: bmw E36 saloon.

Post by cockneyrebel » 15 Jan 2018, 07:30

Good work, great feeling when a project bursts into life for the first time. :-bd

Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring

Post by Gus247 » 15 Jan 2018, 08:09

awesome news!!! Good effort bud :)
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK

touch_reality
BMW Enthusiast
E46 325i SE Touring

Post by touch_reality » 15 Jan 2018, 14:41

Thanks guys,

I'll be the first to admit I did a little happy/smug jig around the workshop :P

Sky sent me a gift card to use at certain places for £50 with my trade discount I picked up a lifetime socket set/pack thing as the last one I bought slowly vanished...

Up there tomorrow as Radiator should arrive tomorrow morning so will head up after work so I can try and run it for more then 30 seconds and to check for any issues in the cooling system before I start adding on plastics and all that kinda jazz

Return to “Projects”