Scotland Meets?

Watch this space for our national and local meets / events. They are great to join in so don't be shy, everybody was new once :) ALL members are welcome - even if you've sold the BMW and got something else!!

Re: Scotland Meets?

Postby sam_vr6 » 04 Mar 2013, 14:15

M60NJP wrote:It was purely a weekend away by the seaside! I was only there overnight and worked there when the Southern gas fields were managed from there. It was a bit quiet but it is pre-season.......although the hotel was excellent and I had one of the best Chinese meals ever whilst we were there! Southwold is just down the coast and I used to stay at the Swan there when travelling on business, but they've got greedy with the oil (gas!) money and wanted over £100 for a night!! The main roads in/out were in remarkably good condition, presumably due to the light traffic. I enjoyed it, but prefer Aberdeen any day.

Southwold is nice, home of Adnams brewery! Pretty sure i've had a meal at The Swan at least once, can't remember it at all though, just remember the name from family talking about it. I always forget about Norfolk and Suffolk's seaside stuff, is quite nice but nothing like it was when I was a kid.

Haha I don't like Aberdeen, cold, grey, miserable and wet. Nothing there except the oil industry. Plus it's miles away from everywhere. Virtually every decent car meet/show etc (bar the local Aberdeen club ones obvs) are down near the Central Belt. I'm just a pessimistic git though haha. Dundee just down the road is super cheap but quite nice. Only reason it's so cheap is cos there's no industry there whatsoever. All the jobs are in supermarkets and shops. They used to have loads of factories and the like but all that's left is a Michelin factory and DC Thomson (make Beano & Dandy) printing place/headquarters. Would like to move down that way at some point, Aberdeen's too expensive (in Scottish terms anyways, seen how mentally expensive parts of England can be!).
sam_vr6
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: Blue E36 328 Daily & Red E36 328 Drift Weapon

Postby M60NJP » 05 Mar 2013, 14:30

Hey Sam, we (the mods/admin) were talking about meets last night at The Ace. The initial problem is 9/10 new joiners don't fill in their location in their profile so we only know 'who's where' from memory, guesswork and deduction (mostly guesswork!). By my reckoning we have around 10 or so members in Scotland and maybe the same again in the very most Northern climes of England. You've already posted up about an event (thanks), but if the local knowledge identifies any larger 'national' meets over the Spring/Summer this year which we can add to the plan for next year, please flag them up and we'll look to slot them in formally!

Cheers
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby sam_vr6 » 05 Mar 2013, 14:48

Ok, will do. Doesn't seem to be a lot of BMW events up this way though. I used to and still am to a certain extent involved in the vw scene and there's plenty dub related stuff up in Scotland. As far as BMWs go personally I've identified 2 main groups. Family men/women, business men/women and people who want a new, awesome, luxury car and the other group being drifting (drifting scene is growing quickly in Scotland, especially around Fife and Central Belt). I think that might be a reason for the lack of Scottish members on here.....first group less likely to join a forum (stereotypically) and second group more likely to be on drifting forums like driftworks and trampdrift......could be wrong but I think it may be big contributer. Also the "BMWs are a knobs car" stereotype some (idiotic) people believe in can be quite common in certain areas of life in Scotland (for example when I worked at Asda as a student!).

Fife is full of e36/e39s etc, could be a good area to target....
sam_vr6
BMW Enthusiast

Postby M60NJP » 05 Mar 2013, 14:55

Cheers Sam, we are looking at some targeted on-line 'advertising' 'up there' so can maybe flush out the potential members and convert them!!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby sam_vr6 » 05 Mar 2013, 16:22

You guys have done damn good for only being around a year btw. What was the official date the forum went live?
sam_vr6
BMW Enthusiast

Postby RayB » 05 Mar 2013, 16:24

Thanks Sam, October 2011 so getting on for 18 months old now
RayB
Site Owner

Car model: 1998 E36 M3 Convertible

Postby tubz85 » 29 Mar 2013, 21:31

From south ayrshire and would defo be interested in meeting other bmw drivers.
tubz85
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 03 X5 3.0ltr Diesel Sport Auto

Postby sam_vr6 » 30 Mar 2013, 07:58

Tidy, that's a whole 3 of us now haha
sam_vr6
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Telly addict » 09 Jun 2013, 12:12

I live near St Andrews now and although I'm a 'family man' I might be interested in meets as well.
Telly addict
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: e92 335d M Sport

Postby Ngy » 09 Jun 2013, 19:36

I live near Aberfoyle, about a half hour between Stirling one way and Glasgow the other way.
Ngy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 1999 E36 328I vert

PreviousNext

Return to BMWE Meets and events