The new guy

Now you've dropped by, stop and say hello and introduce yourself (and your motor) pics are always a bonus but not compulsory...

The new guy

Postby Jackl86 » 12 Sep 2017, 11:49

Hi
Im hopeless at writing about myself but he goes
I currently have a Mondeo st derv saloon, which iv taken as far as i can without reliability issues, 220bhp and 370 lb ft methanol injection etc just isnt doing it for me anymore, i thought when i started id get more but its just not possible, the basics i.e driveshafts etc cant handle much more. But enough about what i have, and on to me and what i want
Im an electrician at heathrow, i play ice hockey, football and driink beer
I want to get a 335d or a 535d and tune them nicely so i can do 30k miles a year and be happy but i dont know which is better, if there is one, or if one has more issues than the other or which you can get more parts for (sat nav uprgrades etc as the standard system isnt great)
About 10 years ago i had an e36 325i and loved it, had i not been you g and stupid i would have kept it as they go for reasonable money now :(
Im looking around 06-07-08 sort of age but im mot going to rush, when the right one pops up ill take a look :)
Jackl86
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: Future owner

Re: The new guy

Postby M60NJP » 12 Sep 2017, 12:42

The choice is pretty much one of vahicle size only as the mechanicals are nigh-on identical if you are comparing E60 with E90. It might be my imagination, but the E60s seem to have died out over recent years, suggesting the E90s are a better bet - certainly the E60s were very popular with cabbies and high-mileage business users which may explain their demise.

Key is service history and what has actually been done/by whom. Both will do big mileage, but can be problematic at c120k miles if not properly maintained.
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Postby Jackl86 » 12 Sep 2017, 13:12

Thanks
I need a bit of space for my hockey kit, but it would fit in a 3 series iv jist not driven either of them yet, i figured the mechanicals would be pretty much the same
Its just the usual stuff with any car then really :) make sure its looked after and not run on a shoestring :)
Jackl86
BMW Enthusiast

Postby M60NJP » 12 Sep 2017, 13:15

Jackl86 wrote:Thanks
I need a bit of space for my hockey kit, but it would fit in a 3 series iv jist not driven either of them yet, i figured the mechanicals would be pretty much the same
Its just the usual stuff with any car then really :) make sure its looked after and not run on a shoestring :)

Yup, pretty much. It's less about the frequency of the servicing than what was done and by whom........with receipts! If your budget points you at 100k+ milers, allow for thnigs like ATF fluid/filter change (if auto!) - c£500 or bushes/shockers etc at much the same: Ideally receipts for that work having bewen done of course!
M60NJP
Site Owner

Isetta 300

Postby M60NJP » 12 Sep 2017, 13:18

Oh -one other thought.

Diesel? Not sure about their residuals etc in future years. No-once can predict the future but non Euro-5 enginesm ay suffer from a tax hit in future years which will/may affect their desireability?
M60NJP
Site Owner

Isetta 300

Postby Jackl86 » 12 Sep 2017, 15:06

M60NJP wrote:Oh -one other thought.

Diesel? Not sure about their residuals etc in future years. No-once can predict the future but non Euro-5 enginesm ay suffer from a tax hit in future years which will/may affect their desireability?

I think the diesel thing is a mystery to everyone, theyre now bringing the scrappage back for diesels, ut not so long ago petrols where the enemy and undesirable the main idea in fairness is to keep it as long as its viable and when theres no other option get rid
My ST will do 80 to the gallon if im gentle but 40 when i hammer it, with doing 30k miles a year the diesel will give me a bit of a better saving in the long run, in theory at least lol
Jackl86
BMW Enthusiast

Return to Introductions