Heated rear screens as aerials

For everything relating to the BMW 5 series
worzel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 1991 525i Auto

Heated rear screens as aerials

Post by worzel » 22 May 2017, 11:02

Hi

Never had a car with the hrw acting as an antenna. What's the general opinion of their effectiveness. Actually must admit I never usually bother with car radios but my better half likes them so I fitted a Blaupunkt non-digital radio/cd player. Most times it works fine (stationary it's fine) but on the move the signal can fade out- is this typical of this type of antenna and if so any recommendations for upping the fm performance.

Regards

John

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Heated rear screens as aerials

Post by M60NJP » 22 May 2017, 11:18

I've never had a problem with one - until/unless the car got very old and the element begins to break down. You can get signal boosters?

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 22 May 2017, 14:58

They tend to be amplified
So when you replace the radio with an after market one the reception isn't as good
Some have two aerial leads going into the original radio
I found it makes a difference on the make of radio as well
I had a similar problem with my E46 it was on a year change and the early models had to be powered by the radio so the reception was poor
Again when I changed the radio on my e36 touring the first radio was fine but the second radio I fitted has issues
Being a touring the antenna is in the 1/4 Side window and it needs to be amplified
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

worzel
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: 1991 525i Auto

Post by worzel » 22 May 2017, 17:22

Hi

Thanks for your replies- quick too!

I understand the original radio fitted by the factory was also a Blaupunkt- but obviously a different model- hence the reason why I chose another of their range. I assumed that fitting it would be a simple swapover but as usual the previous owner had altered the wiring somewhat to fit a pioneer model.

Anyway I eventually figured out what he'd done and got all speakers to work etc.

I realise the std setup includes a boot mounted amplifier- are you saying that this should be bypassed (or would benefit from being bypassed) and a boosted/amplified aftermarket aerial fitted or should the original amplifier be retained and the additional amplified aerial be fitted using some sort of two connector?

You've probably figured out I'm not particularly "up" on radio hardware although car electrical systems don't particularly frighten me so all help appreciated.

Regards

John

Discostew38
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E34-M5
E36-328 touring
E46-330d touring
Volvo-940

Post by Discostew38 » 23 May 2017, 15:06

Can't really answer I never really got to the bottom of the problem myself
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 909 times
This is what I was on about when I said it had two aerial wires
I not sure how you can work round it
With my E46 i even fitted a screen mounted aerial but that only helped but it still wasn't as good as it should be
Life's to short to be driving boring cars
It's all about the old school

Return to “BMW 5 Series Forum”