Newbie - couple of points?

saint
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: Looking for BMW at present - need advice

Newbie - couple of points?

Post by saint » 24 Jul 2012, 15:12

Hi...
I've never owned a 840Ci Sport but am now considering buying.
Now the kids have fled the nest, I can go back to owning what I always had before: a coupe.
Had originally thought of Jaguar XK8, but not sure of that now...rust problems etc

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone offer clarification or suggestions on the following:

1. Possible purchase: 1998 840Ci Sport, full main dealer history, 120k miles....very good all-round condition. Dealer price: £4600...good/bad?
2. The front of the car (low skirt etc) looks as if it will do battle with any speed bumps...As I have quite a number near me, that might prove a deal-breaker for obvious reasons!!
3. Had a look at the Meerkat's buyer's guide: minor point - where do you add engine oil when/if needed...can't see any obvious standard 'screw cap' near engine on any picture...Hidden from view or am I just not looking in the right place...

Any other pointers or comments would be welcome....

Many thanks

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Newbie - couple of points?

Post by M60NJP » 24 Jul 2012, 21:10

saint wrote:Hi...
I've never owned a 840Ci Sport but am now considering buying.
Now the kids have fled the nest, I can go back to owning what I always had before: a coupe.
Had originally thought of Jaguar XK8, but not sure of that now...rust problems etc

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone offer clarification or suggestions on the following:

1. Possible purchase: 1998 840Ci Sport, full main dealer history, 120k miles....very good all-round condition. Dealer price: £4600...good/bad?
2. The front of the car (low skirt etc) looks as if it will do battle with any speed bumps...As I have quite a number near me, that might prove a deal-breaker for obvious reasons!!
3. Had a look at the Meerkat's buyer's guide: minor point - where do you add engine oil when/if needed...can't see any obvious standard 'screw cap' near engine on any picture...Hidden from view or am I just not looking in the right place...

Any other pointers or comments would be welcome....

Many thanks
Price isn't bad, but not great either! Sport is typically fairly low spec so unless the original owner loaded it, it's probably a £3750 car. Colour, spec etc will affect price. Some prefer 850/850 also.
Front splitter if original won't be a problem........your comment suggests it's not original?
The oil filler is on top of the rocker cover, rhs looking from inside the car.

There's a few about so take your time and get the best your budget allows. Try and get from an enthusiast and drive the price down as large capacity cars aren't selling!

Lewy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E63 M6 & E36/7 Z3 2.8

Post by Lewy » 25 Jul 2012, 01:40

Can't vouch for this at all, but just to show what's out there - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-BMW-850- ... 2a2072a950" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saint
BMW Enthusiast

Post by saint » 25 Jul 2012, 16:24

840 front 2.jpg
840 front 2.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
840 front 1.jpg
840 front 1.jpg (26.45 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Hi...many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Didn't know the front was called 'front splitter'.
As far as I know, no modifications have been made. Saw an 840 online with same front.
Could only manage snips of the image.
Hope you can tell from these pix if the front splitter is 'standard'.
Let me know one way or the other, when you get a moment....
I did think the price was just a shade high...at least that gives me an idea.

Many thanks

Lewy
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Lewy » 25 Jul 2012, 16:31

Very difficult to tell from those pics -

Here's a 'bog standard' one

Lewy
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Lewy » 25 Jul 2012, 16:33

And a better one -

saint
BMW Enthusiast

Post by saint » 27 Jul 2012, 16:21

Thanks again for your time Lewy...
Based on those photos of 'standard' front, I now suspect there has been some modification at the front of my proposed car, all of which might be 'technically or aesthetically' justified, but really doesn't fill me with confidence re: those speed bumps...
Think it looks very much as if the car is more 'low-slung' than the 'standard'
Mmmm...why can't buying a car be simple, eh?
Looks like I may have to look elswwhere or move house!
Regards

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 27 Jul 2012, 16:42

saint wrote:Thanks again for your time Lewy...
Based on those photos of 'standard' front, I now suspect there has been some modification at the front of my proposed car, all of which might be 'technically or aesthetically' justified, but really doesn't fill me with confidence re: those speed bumps...
Think it looks very much as if the car is more 'low-slung' than the 'standard'
Mmmm...why can't buying a car be simple, eh?
Looks like I may have to look elswwhere or move house!
Regards
Agreed - that's after-market............would need to find out if 'voluntary' (i.e. someone likes it) or compulsory (front end damage). A resto to standard is likely to be scarily expensive!

Several out there so be patient and keep looking and be prepared to travel a bit. Silver seems to be the most common colour, black looks very nice (IMO) as does burgundy. There is a mid blue which is quite popular. If you're anywhere near the Midlands, the Gaydon show is 3 weeks tomorrow and there'll be plenty to look at and almost certainly some for sale? We're be there en masse if you want to join us?

M60NJP
Site Owner
Isetta 300

Post by M60NJP » 27 Jul 2012, 19:09

Just had a look on AT and the prices seem firm, although one private sale looked good value.......but can't always tell from an ad!

mr sideways
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 328i and 320D

Post by mr sideways » 27 Jul 2012, 19:35

if i was buying an 8 series it would have to be totally standard, have full history and been cared for.

there are plenty out there.
1999 328i vert individual - 2002 320D compact

Return to “General”