Z3 2.8 Auto Gearbox mode switch

artyef
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW Z3 2.8 Auto

Z3 2.8 Auto Gearbox mode switch

Post by artyef » 14 May 2017, 12:05

Hi All, Can anyone help me please?
The switch by the selector lever (M, E and S) does not seem to operate, ie no difference appears to occur.
What is meant to happen if you select, eg the S mode.? With my switch a light comes on briefly and the switch then returns to the centre, the light goes off
and there is no feeling of any difference in the driving experience. Do you think my switch is faulty? I removed the switch and the car works perfectly well without
it! with no warning lights coming up on the dash!
Any one with any ideas? Many thanks, Arty.

M60NJP
Site Owner
Car model: 135i M Sport
Isetta 300

Re: Z3 2.8 Auto Gearbox mode switch

Post by M60NJP » 14 May 2017, 12:52

artyef wrote:Hi All, Can anyone help me please?
The switch by the selector lever (M, E and S) does not seem to operate, ie no difference appears to occur.
What is meant to happen if you select, eg the S mode.? With my switch a light comes on briefly and the switch then returns to the centre, the light goes off
and there is no feeling of any difference in the driving experience. Do you think my switch is faulty? I removed the switch and the car works perfectly well without
it! with no warning lights coming up on the dash!
Any one with any ideas? Many thanks, Arty.
A pic would help, but I'm assuming 'manual' 'eco' and 'sport. The former means you can change gear using the stick backwards and forwards, eco means low rev changes and sport means high rev changes.

All should be noticeable!!

If nothing happens, then it would seem the switch is faulty.

Gus247
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: '98 E36 323iSE Touring
'12 F31 330d Touring

Re: Z3 2.8 Auto Gearbox mode switch

Post by Gus247 » 15 May 2017, 08:57

Assuming it's the same box I have in mine, the stick won't allow you to change through the gears as such (anymore than it would by moving lever anyway). On mine I also have three markings, S, E and a snowflake symbol. E is economy mode meaning that the gear shifts at a lower RPM and top gear (5th) is engaged. S is sport mode which means that the box holds the gears longer and doesn't engage 5th at all. M on yours (snowflake on mine) is a manual mode which holds the gear you select on the stick. This is meant for driving on snow/ice with a view to keeping traction and not causing the rear end to break away whilst changing up/down....

Cycling through the modes S and E, you probably won't feel much difference unless you are cruising in top gear and choose S - this should cause the car to drop down a gear...

Hope that helps a little?
aka Andy

BMW Forum UK

Return to “Electrical”