M6 LCI rear light upgrade coding

Johnky90
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW E63 M6

M6 LCI rear light upgrade coding

Post by Johnky90 » 15 Aug 2014, 22:52

Hi!

I'm planning to install E63 LCI rear light on my E63 M6 next week when the pair arrives
I've gone through a number of different threads on different sites looking for proper installation method
a few have bought adaptors off m5board member but this isn't an option for me as I'm not willing to fork out 420USD for a pair of homemade adaptors.
a lot of people have installed successfully by coding the LCM (Light Control Module) disabling the bulb fault reporting (which causes random flickering and hyperflashing)

could someone recommend an expert or a shop who might be able to help me with coding this LCM?
(some on other forum has mentioned that autologic cannot code LCM apparently)

cheers

John
Never think of your car as a cold machine, but as a hot-blooded horse.
Juan Manuel Fangio (1958)

M6 Project
Driven by Passion FB Club
Youtube Channel

Lewy
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: E63 M6 & E36/7 Z3 2.8

Re: M6 LCI rear light upgrade coding

Post by Lewy » 16 Aug 2014, 02:07

I wonder if this is a job for Enda Ward - TheEnd on here or just search my FB friends list. If he can't do it I bet he'd know who can

TheEnd
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 540i

Post by TheEnd » 16 Aug 2014, 02:16

I think the rear lights should be fine, there's a retrofit option available for most options, but in some cases people have had to also fit a new Light Module (most commonly on front light upgrades)

If things going well, all that needs to be done is select the LCI retrofit and ISTA/P will do the rest, change the option codes and add do all of the coding automatically.

Johnky90
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Johnky90 » 16 Aug 2014, 10:00

Lewy wrote:I wonder if this is a job for Enda Ward - TheEnd on here or just search my FB friends list. If he can't do it I bet he'd know who can Image
thanks Lewy, i've been away for so long and the first time I show up i'm asking for help lol
hope we can meet up sometime soon, cheers

TheEnd wrote:I think the rear lights should be fine, there's a retrofit option available for most options, but in some cases people have had to also fit a new Light Module (most commonly on front light upgrades)

If things going well, all that needs to be done is select the LCI retrofit and ISTA/P will do the rest, change the option codes and add do all of the coding automatically.
apparently the front indicators definitely need adaptors and luckily I was able to get my hands on those,

BMW says the LCI light upgrades are not standard retrofit service they provide so they cannot do the coding (and needless to say the warranty as well)
please correct me if I'm off on a sidetrack.

If you're refering to LM2 (light module) as a new Light Module, i think it still needs coding but changing it to to LM2 would be pointless as LM1 (which I have ATM) can be coded anyway
Is this something you can help me with? when it comes to actual coding I know absolutely nothing about it.. I'm based in London
thanks

John

M6 Project
Youtube Channel

TheEnd
BMW Enthusiast
Car model: BMW 540i

Post by TheEnd » 16 Aug 2014, 11:20

I can do coding, no probs, but it all depends what module is in there.
There's two ways, one is an official retrofit update, which is all automatic through ISTA/P, but if BMW are saying it can't be done, it looks like that isn't going to be in the list of retrofit options.

The other way is hand coding, which is dipping into the module and changing the settings manually.
If it can and has been done, and other people have sorted everything with just coding, then I would be able to do it.

So you'll have the LM1 at the moment?
If you have seen a guide or a thread on it, let me know and I'll have a look and see what needs to be done.

Johnky90
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Johnky90 » 16 Aug 2014, 11:41

TheEnd wrote:I can do coding, no probs, but it all depends what module is in there.
There's two ways, one is an official retrofit update, which is all automatic through ISTA/P, but if BMW are saying it can't be done, it looks like that isn't going to be in the list of retrofit options.

The other way is hand coding, which is dipping into the module and changing the settings manually.
If it can and has been done, and other people have sorted everything with just coding, then I would be able to do it.

So you'll have the LM1 at the moment?
If you have seen a guide or a thread on it, let me know and I'll have a look and see what needs to be done.
Yes, since my car is 55reg I believe it is LM1 (think LM2 came after Oct 2006)
I'll get back to you as soon as I find some useful info on this coding. the thread where I found this information is here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bm ... ost2385264

this is coding thread http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bm ... 011-a.html

and to search that coding thread; http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search ... did=172542

searching that coding thread with "LCI" came up like this http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/search ... d=11903697

i hope that helps,
my lights won't arrive till next Wednesday so please take it easy especially over the weekend (you're supposed to get rest!)
i'd hate to be someone's PITA over the weekend :?
thank you very much for your help, :thumbup:

John

M6 Project
Youtube Channel

Johnky90
BMW Enthusiast

Post by Johnky90 » 17 Aug 2014, 09:15

I'm afraid I was wrong,
it does require LM2 and coding to disable bulb fault reporting.
I think I might actually take the adaptors route since I don't have others (AEs, DRLs etc) to upgrade with LM2.

I'll update later on. Cheers

John

M6 Project
Youtube Channel

Return to “Electrical”