idrive not working 645

Anything non model specific but still BMW related goes here.

idrive not working 645

Postby jashammy » 19 Aug 2012, 13:18

Oh dear oh dear the idrive has just stopped working!!!!!! When i turn the engine on it takes a good minute or so for the screen to light up and when it does the controller wont work cant even play a cd..!!!!! it looks like the time has gone off the screen as well it now reads --:-- everthing else in ghe car seems to be working fine except there was some smoke coming out the left hand side exhaust which hasnt been there before. So anybody know of any indian rope tricks i could try? ?? Or anyboby had the same problem. Cheers :thumbdown:

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
jashammy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: 645 e64 2004 atlantic blue

Re: idrive not working 645

Postby jashammy » 19 Aug 2012, 13:34

:D Panic over for now just googled it and found out how to reboot the idrive so if anybody dosnt know heres how

Press and hold DVDeject button
Press and hold CD eject button
Then press stereo power on/off button

Thanks f#%k that worked! !!!!

( i guess you all knew that anyways ) :D

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast

Postby ASJ » 19 Aug 2012, 17:24

Sorry no one responded mate we were all at gaydon i will keep a note of how to reset i drive Thanks. As for the smoke ive no idea is it just the one exhUst is it when engine is hot or cold im sure some one will be Able to help you out
Andy
ASJ
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: bmw
e63
645ci coupe

Postby M60NJP » 19 Aug 2012, 17:26

If there are no warning message come up, the 645 does seem to 'puff' sometimes and provided it's not regular and there's no engine light, I'd ignore it. Be careful around 80k miles with the engine anyway!!......
M60NJP
Site Owner

Car model: 135i M Sport

Postby jashammy » 19 Aug 2012, 18:14

ASJ wrote:Sorry no one responded mate we were all at gaydon i will keep a note of how to reset i drive Thanks. As for the smoke ive no idea is it just the one exhUst is it when engine is hot or cold im sure some one will be Able to help you out

Hope you all had a good day at gaydon & I assume the weather stayed good for you it did down here (Bristol). The car was warm my missus had just came back from seeing the horse & told me the idrive wasn't working. It was only then when I was toying around with the buttons that the smoke came out,quite a cloud mind bit worrying but I took it round the block & it seemed to cure it. Guess it just needed a blow out. Because she drives it on a daily bassis ( I use the van ) it dosnt get driven hard..!!! Thanks for the reply anyway

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast

Postby jashammy » 19 Aug 2012, 18:20

M60NJP wrote:If there are no warning message come up, the 645 does seem to 'puff' sometimes and provided it's not regular and there's no engine light, I'd ignore it. Be careful around 80k miles with the engine anyway!!......

No warning light or chime but because the idrive wasn't working the PDC wasn't working or the top up/down chime wasn't working either so I don't think an error chime/message would of shown. But seems ok again now. Car has got 106k on the clock though,I bought it with 100k on,only had it 2 months.

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast

Postby Lewy » 19 Aug 2012, 22:50

Sometimes the iDrive fails due to lack of voltage from the battery so do bear that in mind, it can play some strange tricks.

Also I'd treat your smoke thing as a separate issue. Is it when you've been idle for a while? I have the same issue and PCV valve change might be a fix (not guaranteed though).
Lewy
BMW Enthusiast

Car model: BMW E36/7 Z3 2.8 (pre facelift)

Postby jashammy » 20 Aug 2012, 07:00

Cheers lewy it's the first time the idrive stopped working & first time smokes came out so I thought they could be connected. Engine was warm but had only been driven for a couple of miles,I sat in it on my drive giving it a rev & I'd say it was a grey coloured smoke. Problem is she dosnt drive it far or hard so would make sense if the battery was low. I've only had the at 2 months so have no idea how ok the battery is either. I took it for a spin round the block flooring it in sport manual mode & it seemed to clear it out,I'll get her to keep an eye on it.problem when you buy something 8 years old your just waiting for it to break,well I am anyway. Eibachs & spacers getting fitted 13th sept so don't wanna be spending that money on repairs ..!!! Cheers

jashammy
BMW Enthusiast

Return to General BMW